Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Computer display for the boat?

While we are arguing about charging the batteries,
how about some help DIScharging them?

I'd like to put a 15 to 19 inch VGA monitor up forward to show charts and
play movies and such.

It would mount up in the fo'c'sle and fold up out of the way when not in use.
(I'll make a nice fiberglass mount/container for it)

I've been Googling this mess (bo-ring!) for Marine, Automotive, and RV
equipment (and even cheap home computer monitors).

The marine and RV stuff are really expensive. $500 + for a $100 toy.

So far, a raw LCD 15 inch display looks best from the point of battery
usage (12 volt DC, 24 watts).

The 15 inch version pulls about 40 watts (!)

The LED displays are almost all 120 vac devices.

I'd like to find:
SVGA input. Other optional inputs are ok,
but the laptop will be the primary source.
16:9 aspect ratio.
1280 x 800 is the native laptop display.
12 volt DC power
1000:1 or better contrast ratio
5 ms or better grey-grey response time.
for a couple of bucks maybe??

Larry???

Boat Computer? Larry Cruising 11 March 19th 09 12:45 PM
Best computer hardware aboard boat! cavelamb himself Boat Building 11 November 27th 07 05:13 PM
Computer for boat Rolf Electronics 13 December 11th 04 09:36 AM
Computer for Boat? Ansley Sawyer Electronics 6 May 9th 04 11:16 PM
get off the computer and onto your boat Richard Malcolm Cruising 1 July 16th 03 12:47 AM