Default Computer display for the boat?

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 10:24:42 -0500, cavelamb
wrote:

This mess would only require 1 or 2 amps of AC to run everything.

DPDT, with center off?

That should work. You just need to make sure that nothing with a
higher power requirement is turned on when you switch. The switch
that I used is rated at over 50 amps but I still turn off almost
everything to minimize arcing.

That might be more sensible than fooling with the plug.

I think so. It also gives you the option of installing a higher power
inverter in the future and powering other things without installing
extra plugs and wiring.

mmc wrote:

I've got absolutely nothing to offer for advice, but I like your boat!
Especially the open layout below with no bulkhead and no attemp to create a
seperate v berth. I think this is so much better in a small boat than trying
to cram seating in the salon and having a seperate v.
Cool!

Why thank you, mmc!

Obviously a person of high intelligence and elegant tastes!

But yeah, I like it too.
One of Frank Butler's better doodles.

The interior space is a result of the 10 feet of beam.
And, as you said, not breaking the space up into little areas.

At first I thought the head took up more room than necessary,
but I've come to like it after a very short time.
And the ladies who have been aboard all approve heartily.
A bit of privacy while attending to those things seems to be important to them.

I tried out the V-berth on a Catalina 27 and 28.
The 30 wasn't too bad, but the others were way too cramped for me.

This boat has a queen sized berth under the cockpit. In reality,
the port side will be used for storage and the starboard side used as
a pilot berth.

Like the Baby Bear's bed in the old children's story,
this one fits just right.

Richard

wrote:

This mess would only require 1 or 2 amps of AC to run everything.

DPDT, with center off?

That should work. You just need to make sure that nothing with a
higher power requirement is turned on when you switch. The switch
that I used is rated at over 50 amps but I still turn off almost
everything to minimize arcing.

That might be more sensible than fooling with the plug.

I think so. It also gives you the option of installing a higher power
inverter in the future and powering other things without installing
extra plugs and wiring.

I follow your thinking there, Wayne, but I think is would be a good
idea to keep this part of the AC circuit separate.
This is the "delicate" stuff.

The rest of the AC equipment is the dumb stuff like the water heater,
fans, and air conditioner. That all I have aboard the AC system right now.
That stuff is pretty much immune to minor variations in the AC supply.

But the expensive and delicate digital stuff I'd keep off by itself.

I wonder how a small battery backup and the inverter would get along together?

Richard

cavelamb wrote:

The rest of the AC equipment is the dumb stuff like the water heater,
fans, and air conditioner. That all I have aboard the AC system right now.
That stuff is pretty much immune to minor variations in the AC supply.

But the expensive and delicate digital stuff I'd keep off by itself.

I wonder how a small battery backup and the inverter would get along together?

Richard

On Barbara I have a 24V computer wired into the house system but the
monitor (Acer 22" LCD) is AC and runs from the genset or inverter.
When I switch from one to the other it just goes off then on again and
doesn't seem to care.

Michael Porter
Michael Porter Marine Design
mporter at mp-marine dot com
www.mp-marine.com

WaIIy wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 11:40:20 -0400, "mmc" wrote:

I completely agree about the non reflective screen issue.
I should have included it in the list.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~capri26/
7th pic down...

the screen will fold up under the deck in front of that shelf.
Out of the way, and with a hard cover, should be safe there.

Up there, with a little down angle like you were stretched out
on the bunk, even the mirror surface of my lap top looks great.
All the reflections go elsewhere.

I think 18 inches will be plenty.
But 40 watts! and that's just the display. Doesn't include the
computer or audio amp.

I've got the audio run into the stereo, and the sound is theater
quality - specially in that echo chamber.

I've got absolutely nothing to offer for advice, but I like your boat!
Especially the open layout below with no bulkhead and no attemp to create a
seperate v berth. I think this is so much better in a small boat than trying
to cram seating in the salon and having a seperate v.
Cool!

As clean a boat as I have ever seen. Nice

You just validated a weeks scrubbing, Wally.

Thanks.
We appreciate that.

cavelamb wrote in
m:

As clean a boat as I have ever seen. Nice

You just validated a weeks scrubbing, Wally.

Thanks.
We appreciate that.

Is that a tiny scratch on that handrail, there, or maybe just a reflection
off the highly polished surface?.....(c;]

I can't sail on boats like this "showroom" boat. Too many weeks on
something that looks like humans live there and weren't afraid to put their
deckshoes on the wine-stained cushions....

I can tell your boat never had one of OUR dock parties....

--
-----
Larry

If a man goes way out into the woods all alone and says something,
is it still wrong, even though no woman hears him?

Larry wrote:
cavelamb wrote in
m:

As clean a boat as I have ever seen. Nice

You just validated a weeks scrubbing, Wally.

Thanks.
We appreciate that.

Is that a tiny scratch on that handrail, there, or maybe just a reflection
off the highly polished surface?.....(c;]

I can't sail on boats like this "showroom" boat. Too many weeks on
something that looks like humans live there and weren't afraid to put their
deckshoes on the wine-stained cushions....

I can tell your boat never had one of OUR dock parties....

She's 18 years old, Larry - hardly in "show room" condition.
She has some battle damage - but nothing terrible.

She's just new to us, so we've put a bit of elbow grease into
making her sparkle a bit - for the commissioning party!

A week later she's "normal" again.

cavelamb wrote in news:C-
:

She's 18 years old, Larry - hardly in "show room" condition.
She has some battle damage - but nothing terrible.

She's just new to us, so we've put a bit of elbow grease into
making her sparkle a bit - for the commissioning party!

A week later she's "normal" again.

I took my 16' jetboat up to "Bushy Park", an earthen dam that simply
separated the brackish water of the Cooper River from fresh water that
comes down a canal from up the Cooper far enough to be all fresh from
the lake. It's a reservoir for our water system. There's a boat ramp
on both sides the county maintains with nice floating aluminum docks and
paved parking/ramps.

I launched the jetboat in the salt side for a trip up the Cooper, then
back down the canal upriver into the reservoir, a very nice daytrip on
the river in beautiful weather that can be extended to go all the way up
to the dam, through the free lock into the lake and back if there's
time.

I tied the boat up to the dock by the launching ramps and across the
dock from there was a little girl sitting in a very old runabout that
had seen most of its life powered by a tired old Evinrude, a boat for
the less fortunate of us.

She said to me, very proudly, "This is my daddy's new boat! Isn't she
beautiful?!" with a smile that was several orders of magnitude brighter
than the hot South Carolina sun. I complimented her on her fine craft
and, upon reinspection, could see it was the finest vessel on the river
that day. How could anyone think otherwise by such a brightly-lit main
deck, brighter than anything else in view?

As I parked the car in the lot, I just felt this was going to be a
special day. It already had been.....(c;]

Funny how cracked plastic seats look so much different when such a
pretty little girl was sitting in them.....

--
-----
Larry

If a man goes way out into the woods all alone and says something,
is it still wrong, even though no woman hears him?

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 00:30:58 +0000, Larry wrote:

cavelamb wrote in news:C-
:

[...]

Our 16 foot jet boat is Turbocraft hull # 10, the first ones ever sold
fifty years ago. It has been painted and had new upholstery in all
that time.

Richard Casady wrote in
:

Our 16 foot jet boat is Turbocraft hull # 10, the first ones ever sold
fifty years ago. It has been painted and had new upholstery in all
that time.

Mine was a piece of Brunswick crap called a Sea Ray Sea Rayder F16XR2
built in TN.

It nearly killed me when the 3/8" gas line run through 3" cable clamps,
they use to hold up the big inlet tank hose, to the tank came loose from
the 5/16" gas hose barb on the Mercury 175 Sport Jet, and fell down in
the very rear of the boat while speeding down the river at 50. So much
hose was below the gas tank level, if it had a anti-siphonn valve, which
I doubted after the fact, it overcame the valve and filled the hull with
so much gas the Rule bilge pump came on...Thanks for SEALED mercury
float switches and explosion proof motors RULE!. There was so much gas
fumes the engine actually ran, but too rich of course, on what it was
sucking in through 6 carbs before I smelled it. Mercury's Thunderbolt
Ignition didn't have any leaks or the boat would have simply exploded
with me in it....sitting right in front of the explosion.

I'm lucky to be here.

If you need 5/16" gasline, I still have a whole reel Sea Ray sent me in
my warehouse.

Fed up with it constantly coming apart, I dumped it for 40% of the
original wholesale price I paid for it....its best day.

The dealer, Sea Ray of Charleston, told me if I didn't stop posting
about my Sea Rayder on rec.boats and rec.sport.jetski he wasn't going to
service it any more as I didn't buy it from him at retail. I told him
to take his dealership and Sea Ray and shove them up his ass, right in
front of his service manager.

Sea Ray and Brunswick doesn't have to worry over ever selling me another
bowling pin.

Ironically, Sea Ray still mails me their magazine and a bunch of spam
specials for a new Sea Ray every so often. I tried, unsuccessfully, to
get off their mailing list a long time ago....(c;]

Everybody should own ONE Brunswick boat. Bayliners are the deluxe
models.

Boat Computer? Larry Cruising 11 March 19th 09 12:45 PM
Best computer hardware aboard boat! cavelamb himself Boat Building 11 November 27th 07 05:13 PM
Computer for boat Rolf Electronics 13 December 11th 04 09:36 AM
Computer for Boat? Ansley Sawyer Electronics 6 May 9th 04 11:16 PM
get off the computer and onto your boat Richard Malcolm Cruising 1 July 16th 03 12:47 AM