Ansley Sawyer

Default Computer for Boat?

Dear Folks,

I am considering installing a computer on my boat. I would be interested in
your thoughts about the issues involved with electronic systems in the salt
water environment. Specifically marinized components, 12 volt power
supplies, and RF interferences. Also any ideas concerning issues that I have
not thought of yet.

Much appreciated.

Ansley Sawyer
SV Pacem

Keith

Is it going to be outside or inside a pilothouse? A daylight viewable
monitor is a must.

--

Keith
__
"Ansley Sawyer" wrote in message
Dear Folks,

I am considering installing a computer on my boat. I would be interested

in
your thoughts about the issues involved with electronic systems in the

salt
water environment. Specifically marinized components, 12 volt power
supplies, and RF interferences. Also any ideas concerning issues that I

have
not thought of yet.

Much appreciated.

Ansley Sawyer
SV Pacem

Peter Pan

"Ansley Sawyer" wrote in message
Dear Folks,

I am considering installing a computer on my boat. I would be interested

in
your thoughts about the issues involved with electronic systems in the

salt
water environment. Specifically marinized components, 12 volt power
supplies, and RF interferences. Also any ideas concerning issues that I

have
not thought of yet.

Much appreciated.

Ansley Sawyer
SV Pacem

I have mine (a desktop) in a sealed case, and made an umbilical (multiple
extensions, 20 ft long, inside a flexible cable conduit) for the
monitor/keyboard/mouse etc), and have an LCD monitor/cheap keyboard/and a
light -- (I don't see so well anymore) all mounted on a TV(made for
watching TV in bed) tray. I can move it around, put it on tables/ extend the
legs when sitting/out of the way etc, replace the parts
(monitor/keyboard/mouse/light bulb) cheaply and easily when they inevitably
die, and only have to worry about shock mounting/tying down/etc the main
unit which is tucked away out of the elements.

William G. Andersen

Be sure you can see the display!
I don't know the kinds of displays that are available, but I sometimes take
my ComPaq laptop in my 19' bow rider. Even with the convertible top up to
provide some shade, I can't see the display in the daylight.

"Ansley Sawyer" wrote in message
Dear Folks,

I am considering installing a computer on my boat. I would be interested

in
your thoughts about the issues involved with electronic systems in the

salt
water environment. Specifically marinized components, 12 volt power
supplies, and RF interferences. Also any ideas concerning issues that I

have
not thought of yet.

Much appreciated.

Ansley Sawyer
SV Pacem

Dennis Pogson

Remove "nospam" from return address.
"Ansley Sawyer" wrote in message
Dear Folks,

I am considering installing a computer on my boat. I would be interested

in
your thoughts about the issues involved with electronic systems in the

salt
water environment. Specifically marinized components, 12 volt power
supplies, and RF interferences. Also any ideas concerning issues that I

have
not thought of yet.

Much appreciated.

Ansley Sawyer
SV Pacem

Light falling on the screen is the main problem, but if you are good at the
cut and paste stuff, a large black card enclosure can solve both the screen
and the splash problem. Get your black card at an art shop and make a hood
which embraces the whole thing.

Cheap to replace once it begins to look tired! Dont forget the hook 'n loop
fastening to hold the laptop down in a seaway!

Dennis.

M A Shaw

Have a word with Mariner Computers (http://www.marinercomputers.co.uk).
They supplied my system and offer plenty of free advice.

Mark
beldar

Ansley Sawyer wrote:
Dear Folks,

I am considering installing a computer on my boat.

check these out
ps: you don't need a friggin P4 with smell-o-vision to run a gps unit
and get weather via the net