posted to rec.boats.building

Default Best computer hardware aboard boat!

And it really really works!

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/c18-deck.htm

On Jun 23, 9:55 pm, cavelamb himself wrote:
And it really really works!

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/c18-deck.htm

Thenk ewe.

This is undoubtedly the best use for computer hardware on a sailboat.
There truly must be some logic in the multiverse, somewhere, proved by
the fact that it works. For how long?

Mi kawmpliments.

-An aspiring snob.

Terry K

On Jun 26, 4:53 pm, Terry K wrote:
On Jun 23, 9:55 pm, cavelamb himself wrote:

And it really really works!

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/c18-deck.htm

Thenk ewe.

This is undoubtedly the best use for computer hardware on a sailboat.
There truly must be some logic in the multiverse, somewhere, proved by
the fact that it works. For how long?

Mi kawmpliments.

-An aspiring snob.

Terry K

I have seen buildings put cd's in trees and it keeps the birds away
for a really long time. I haven't heard of them coming back as long
as the disc is there in fact. It just needs to be able to move a
little in the breeze or motion of the boat.

cavelamb himself wrote:

And it really really works!

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/c18-deck.htm

Wow!
I noticed several boats in my marina sporting these this evening.

And it really really works!
posted to rec.boats.building

A question for someone who knows...

I have a whole bunch of DVD movies I'd like to have aboard the boat.
But for the space needed to store them (3 bookshelves right now).

What would be involved in archiving some of these on a USB type
hard drive.

How do you get tehm on the drive? Special software to read the
disks? Or "play" them on?

Richard

posted to rec.boats.building

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 23:42:37 -0600, cavelamb himself
wrote:

A question for someone who knows...

I have a whole bunch of DVD movies I'd like to have aboard the boat.
But for the space needed to store them (3 bookshelves right now).

What would be involved in archiving some of these on a USB type
hard drive.

How do you get tehm on the drive? Special software to read the
disks? Or "play" them on?

Richard

could you just throw away the cases and stack them on a spindle?

wrote:

A question for someone who knows...

I have a whole bunch of DVD movies I'd like to have aboard the boat.
But for the space needed to store them (3 bookshelves right now).

What would be involved in archiving some of these on a USB type
hard drive.

How do you get tehm on the drive? Special software to read the
disks? Or "play" them on?

Richard

could you just throw away the cases and stack them on a spindle?

CDs are ok stored that way, but DVDs tend to be too fragile.

wrote:

A question for someone who knows...

I have a whole bunch of DVD movies I'd like to have aboard the boat.
But for the space needed to store them (3 bookshelves right now).

What would be involved in archiving some of these on a USB type
hard drive.

How do you get tehm on the drive? Special software to read the
disks? Or "play" them on?

Richard

could you just throw away the cases and stack them on a spindle?

CDs are ok stored that way, but DVDs tend to be too fragile.

Why not put the DVDs in Tyvek or soft plastic sleeves? Google "DVD storage
sleeves" and you'll find many suppliers, at about a nickel per. If you want
the protection of hard plastic, there are "jewel box" type cases that are
very thin, especially those that store two per case.

wrote:

A question for someone who knows...

I have a whole bunch of DVD movies I'd like to have aboard the boat.
But for the space needed to store them (3 bookshelves right now).

What would be involved in archiving some of these on a USB type
hard drive.

How do you get tehm on the drive? Special software to read the
disks? Or "play" them on?

Richard

could you just throw away the cases and stack them on a spindle?

CDs are ok stored that way, but DVDs tend to be too fragile.

Why not put the DVDs in Tyvek or soft plastic sleeves? Google "DVD storage
sleeves" and you'll find many suppliers, at about a nickel per. If you want
the protection of hard plastic, there are "jewel box" type cases that are
very thin, especially those that store two per case.

It's a space issue.

I have a little over 1000 movies stored exactly that way (Thin cases).
It was a mad house when it was all VHS tapes!

DVD is a lot better - storage space wise - but still takes up
considerable physical space.

DVD's are made differently (than CDs) and really need to be better
protected than just sleeves or stacked on a spindle.
Besides, I don't want to take the disks themselves out on the boat.

I checked at Fry's today.
750 Gig USB drive for just under $300.
That would hold about 100 movies.
(guessing an average of 7 Gig or so per title?)

But how to load them is the question...

Drew Dalgleish wrote:
[...]

If you are willing to sacrifice a little playback quality, why not rip your
DVDs to MPEGs or other file formats which produce much smaller files?
E.g. http://www.wikihow.com/Rip-a-DVD-to-...ile-Using-DVDx
A two-hour movie will be about 750 megs. So your external drive could hold
about 1,000 films. Stack up a few of those and you'd have quite a library!
(g)

Mac26X fit for all waters Ed Gordon Cruising 102 June 22nd 07 12:06 AM
rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 December 19th 05 05:37 AM
Carribean Sail Don White General 16 November 18th 05 01:23 AM
Essentials of a Marine Boat Alarm System Rick Curtis Electronics 19 February 23rd 04 09:42 AM