Default Want a small diesel setup...

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Capt. JG wrote:

I really liked the Westerbeke 13 HP two cylinder. It would run a lot
smoother
than that one lunger 10 hp.

If i could find one complete (like from a wreck, Salty!) I think it
would
be a very interesting winter project.

So who (besides Wee Willie) has a wreck handy?

Richard

I don't have a spare, but I can tell you that I really like the engine. I
have one in my Sabre. Not a minute's trouble.

Here is what the job looks like to me...

Shaft, packing gland, strut and propeller
Engine bed stringer caps and saddles
Fuel tank with supply and return lines and fill
Fuel water filter separator (and eventually fuel polishing system?)

Raw water thru hull, sea cock, strainer and related hoses and clamps
Exhaust outlet thru hull, muffler, hoses and clamps
Battery and connectors, grounding bonding wire.

Panel and/or gauges
Engine controls shift and throttle, cables and connectors.
Engine compartment (housing), ventilation system.

And, for my boat, a new companionway ladder since the engine compartment
forms part of the ladder.

Since the idea is to swim the salt, maybe a heat exchanger for engine
cooling?

All depends on finding a suitable package.

I don't think you need a fuel polishing system if you have clean
fuel/tank/lines. They're all going to be new, right? Do others in your area
have dirty fuel issues?

I would suggest a dual primary filter system. I made that happen at the last
haulout... dual Racors. When I get a chance, I'll upload the pictures, so
you can see what it looks like. Basically, you can switch from one to the
other quickly without having to stop, then when the conditions improve, you
can swap out the filter on the one that failed.

I'd also suggest spending some money and thought about sound-proofing the
compartment.

You could go with a dripless stuffing box, but honestly my near dripless
packing gland material is way cheaper and I've never seen a drop of water.

My W13 is fresh-water cooled with heat-exchanger, which came standard with
the Sabre. They do require some maintenance, but that's true with just about
anything. I would definitely recommend a full service, including valve
adjustment.

Like I said, I don't have the current pictures uploaded, but you can look at
the engine he

http://picasaweb.google.com/SailNOW....aliburSabre30#

(engine pics are near the bottom)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG wrote:

Like I said, I don't have the current pictures uploaded, but you can look at
the engine he

http://picasaweb.google.com/SailNOW....aliburSabre30#

(engine pics are near the bottom)

Tease! But it is a very nice boat...

Mine
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/tempt.htm

"cavelamb" wrote in message
Capt. JG wrote:

Like I said, I don't have the current pictures uploaded, but you can look
at the engine he

http://picasaweb.google.com/SailNOW....aliburSabre30#

(engine pics are near the bottom)

Tease! But it is a very nice boat...

Mine
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/tempt.htm

Looks quite roomy for a boat that size..

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Tue, 19 May 2009 12:30:47 -0500, cavelamb
wrote:

Martin Baxter wrote:
cavelamb wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
Somebody wrote:

Anyone know of a reasonably priced source for a small (12 to 15 HP)
diesel engine and transmission?

A marinized Kubota, try Beta.

Probably more than you want to pay, but that's life.

Lew

Thanks Lew.

Beta Marine Beta 10 Beta Marine Diesel Engines w/ standard features &
transmission : $7,062.00 - plus shipping.

You should be able to get a Volvo-Penta D1-13 for about that, nice
motor, (I've got one)

Cheers
Martin

I did see a VP S-Drive that was fairly reasonable. Installing one would be
the easiset way to go. But IIRC, they are at least partly aluminum.
Salt water environment is pretty hard on that.

I'm not familiar with the engine you mention but I have two Peugeot
Induner, marinized engines in a boat. aluminum head, intake manifold,
bell housing and transmissions. Been there for about 30 years with no
problems.

The engines do have fresh water cooling though.

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Capt. JG wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
Capt. JG wrote:
Like I said, I don't have the current pictures uploaded, but you can look
at the engine he

http://picasaweb.google.com/SailNOW....aliburSabre30#

(engine pics are near the bottom)

Tease! But it is a very nice boat...

Mine
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/tempt.htm

Looks quite roomy for a boat that size..

That it is.
The Catalina 27 has more privacy, with the head dividing the v berth
and main cabin. But that V berth is pretty small (tiny for me).

And sails well too.
Will do even better when the new sails are finished.
which brings up another question, but I'll pop a new thread for it...

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Capt. JG wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
Capt. JG wrote:
Like I said, I don't have the current pictures uploaded, but you can
look at the engine he

http://picasaweb.google.com/SailNOW....aliburSabre30#

(engine pics are near the bottom)

Tease! But it is a very nice boat...

Mine
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/tempt.htm

Looks quite roomy for a boat that size..

That it is.
The Catalina 27 has more privacy, with the head dividing the v berth
and main cabin. But that V berth is pretty small (tiny for me).

And sails well too.
Will do even better when the new sails are finished.
which brings up another question, but I'll pop a new thread for it...

I'm really familiar with the older Cat 27s. They do well on the bay.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Best Oil for Small Diesel Edgar ASA 0 February 13th 07 08:49 PM
Help thy (my) neighbor with small Universal diesel Roger Long Cruising 6 June 13th 06 11:48 PM
How Small a Boat for a Small Number of People? -- FollowUp [email protected] General 8 November 12th 05 02:17 AM
Small, cheap diesel? Lloyd Sumpter Boat Building 46 March 17th 04 08:40 AM
Seeking info / help with small diesel specifications Trent D. Sanders Cruising 2 February 12th 04 04:43 AM