Default Want a small diesel setup...

Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
On Mon, 18 May 2009 06:02:17 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 18 May 2009 02:47:57 -0500, cavelamb
wrote:

Stephen Trapani wrote:
The problem with something that heavy is that you can't make it
economical unless it's in your area. I don't know where you live. If you
have internet access, type "craigslist.org" into your web browser and
then select the closest city to you. In the search field type "diesel."
Scroll through them and you'll find a few in far less time then it's
taken you to write and read this thread.

Stephen
I'm curious as to why you would assume I haven't already done that, isn't it?
Craigslist is handy for some things, but it doesn't cover everything.
Nor everywhere.
Nor does the net. (believe it or not)

So, I put a short simple note here.

Texas coast would be the place to look.
(and I have)

Other then the obvious "I wanna put it in a boat" why are you looking
for a motor? The old one broke? Or building a new boat?

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Hi Bruce,
I'm just interested to see what it would cost - and how much hassle it would
be - to replace an outboard with an inboard diesel.

Outboard boats handle differently than inboards.
All the boats I've ever had were outboards - and they were fine.
But it takes different approach to close maneuvering.

But going down to the sea, it might be worth the effort / expense to have a
diesel. Better range, less volatile fuel, prop blowing water on the rudder
for more standard handling (among big boat skippers), corrosion issues.

I'd bet in Bangcock this would be a no brainer, have it done in a week.

Richard

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Somebody wrote:

Anyone know of a reasonably priced source for a small (12 to 15 HP)
diesel engine and transmission?

A marinized Kubota, try Beta.

Probably more than you want to pay, but that's life.

Lew

New, you are dead right!

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Somebody wrote:

Anyone know of a reasonably priced source for a small (12 to 15 HP)
diesel engine and transmission?

A marinized Kubota, try Beta.

Probably more than you want to pay, but that's life.

Lew

Thanks Lew.

Beta Marine Beta 10 Beta Marine Diesel Engines w/ standard features &
transmission : $7,062.00 - plus shipping.

"cavelamb" wrote:

Beta Marine Beta 10 Beta Marine Diesel Engines w/ standard features
& transmission : $7,062.00 - plus shipping.

Sounds about right.

Lew

cavelamb wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
Somebody wrote:

Anyone know of a reasonably priced source for a small (12 to 15 HP)
diesel engine and transmission?

A marinized Kubota, try Beta.

Probably more than you want to pay, but that's life.

Lew

Thanks Lew.

Beta Marine Beta 10 Beta Marine Diesel Engines w/ standard features &
transmission : $7,062.00 - plus shipping.

You should be able to get a Volvo-Penta D1-13 for about that, nice
motor, (I've got one)

Cheers
Martin

Martin Baxter wrote:
cavelamb wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
Somebody wrote:

Anyone know of a reasonably priced source for a small (12 to 15 HP)
diesel engine and transmission?

A marinized Kubota, try Beta.

Probably more than you want to pay, but that's life.

Lew

Thanks Lew.

Beta Marine Beta 10 Beta Marine Diesel Engines w/ standard features &
transmission : $7,062.00 - plus shipping.

You should be able to get a Volvo-Penta D1-13 for about that, nice
motor, (I've got one)

Cheers
Martin

I did see a VP S-Drive that was fairly reasonable. Installing one would be
the easiset way to go. But IIRC, they are at least partly aluminum.
Salt water environment is pretty hard on that.
You You is offline

In article , Martin Baxter
wrote:

cavelamb wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
Somebody wrote:

Anyone know of a reasonably priced source for a small (12 to 15 HP)
diesel engine and transmission?

A marinized Kubota, try Beta.

Probably more than you want to pay, but that's life.

Lew

Thanks Lew.

Beta Marine Beta 10 Beta Marine Diesel Engines w/ standard features &
transmission : $7,062.00 - plus shipping.

You should be able to get a Volvo-Penta D1-13 for about that, nice
motor, (I've got one)

Cheers
Martin

and if you ever need Parts, expect to PAY, and PAY, and PAY, for them....
Volvo is extremely proud of their Parts, and charge accordingly....

You wrote:
In article , Martin Baxter
wrote:

cavelamb wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
Somebody wrote:

Anyone know of a reasonably priced source for a small (12 to 15 HP)
diesel engine and transmission?
A marinized Kubota, try Beta.

Probably more than you want to pay, but that's life.

Lew

Thanks Lew.

Beta Marine Beta 10 Beta Marine Diesel Engines w/ standard features &
transmission : $7,062.00 - plus shipping.

You should be able to get a Volvo-Penta D1-13 for about that, nice
motor, (I've got one)

Cheers
Martin

and if you ever need Parts, expect to PAY, and PAY, and PAY, for them....
Volvo is extremely proud of their Parts, and charge accordingly....

I really liked the Westerbeke 13 HP two cylinder. It would run a lot smoother
than that one lunger 10 hp.

If i could find one complete (like from a wreck, Salty!) I think it would
be a very interesting winter project.

So who (besides Wee Willie) has a wreck handy?

Richard

"cavelamb" wrote in message
You wrote:
In article , Martin Baxter
wrote:

cavelamb wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
Somebody wrote:

[...]

I don't have a spare, but I can tell you that I really like the engine. I
have one in my Sabre. Not a minute's trouble.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG wrote:

I really liked the Westerbeke 13 HP two cylinder. It would run a lot
smoother
than that one lunger 10 hp.

If i could find one complete (like from a wreck, Salty!) I think it would
be a very interesting winter project.

So who (besides Wee Willie) has a wreck handy?

Richard

I don't have a spare, but I can tell you that I really like the engine. I
have one in my Sabre. Not a minute's trouble.

Here is what the job looks like to me...

Shaft, packing gland, strut and propeller
Engine bed stringer caps and saddles
Fuel tank with supply and return lines and fill
Fuel water filter separator (and eventually fuel polishing system?)

Raw water thru hull, sea cock, strainer and related hoses and clamps
Exhaust outlet thru hull, muffler, hoses and clamps
Battery and connectors, grounding bonding wire.

Panel and/or gauges
Engine controls shift and throttle, cables and connectors.
Engine compartment (housing), ventilation system.

And, for my boat, a new companionway ladder since the engine compartment
forms part of the ladder.

Since the idea is to swim the salt, maybe a heat exchanger for engine cooling?

All depends on finding a suitable package.

Best Oil for Small Diesel Edgar ASA 0 February 13th 07 08:49 PM
Help thy (my) neighbor with small Universal diesel Roger Long Cruising 6 June 13th 06 11:48 PM
How Small a Boat for a Small Number of People? -- FollowUp [email protected] General 8 November 12th 05 02:17 AM
Small, cheap diesel? Lloyd Sumpter Boat Building 46 March 17th 04 08:40 AM
Seeking info / help with small diesel specifications Trent D. Sanders Cruising 2 February 12th 04 04:43 AM