Roger Long

Default Help thy (my) neighbor with small Universal diesel

I just met the follow across the dock who bought a Paceship sailboat
about 25 – 27 feet long. He’s a small boat sailor with his first boat
so most of us know what he’s in for. I can tell I’ll be giving him
lots of help.

He doesn’t know what the engine is but it says "Universal" on the
panel and is a single cylinder diesel with the cylinder horizontal. It
runs well but he has a bilge full of oil and he says it only leaks
when it is running. Then, it leaks a lot.

Is anyone here familiar with these engines? Can you tell me what it is
and point me to someplace where I can learn more about it? Any
opinions about the first place to look for the leak appreciated.

--

Roger Long

Gordon Wedman

"Roger Long" wrote in message
I just met the follow across the dock who bought a Paceship sailboat about
25 - 27 feet long. He's a small boat sailor with his first boat so most of
us know what he's in for. I can tell I'll be giving him lots of help.

He doesn't know what the engine is but it says "Universal" on the panel
and is a single cylinder diesel with the cylinder horizontal. It runs well
but he has a bilge full of oil and he says it only leaks when it is
running. Then, it leaks a lot.

Is anyone here familiar with these engines? Can you tell me what it is and
point me to someplace where I can learn more about it? Any opinions about
the first place to look for the leak appreciated.

--

Roger Long

Well Universal is certainly a common make of engine but a horizontal
cylinder sounds pretty odd. Must be an older model. If it leaks oil while
its running it is probably the main seal on the crank, either front or back.
More likely front.
Sometimes these are easy to replace with the motor left on its mounts.

Roger Long

Looking through boats for sail info, I think the engine is a Yanmar or
Faryman. Both evidently built 8 HP horizontal engines. I'm pretty
sure the boat is a Paceship 26.

The panel must have been installed later.

--

Roger Long

"Roger Long" wrote in message
I just met the follow across the dock who bought a Paceship sailboat
about 25 - 27 feet long. He's a small boat sailor with his first boat
so most of us know what he's in for. I can tell I'll be giving him
lots of help.

He doesn't know what the engine is but it says "Universal" on the
panel and is a single cylinder diesel with the cylinder horizontal.
It runs well but he has a bilge full of oil and he says it only
leaks when it is running. Then, it leaks a lot.

Is anyone here familiar with these engines? Can you tell me what it
is and point me to someplace where I can learn more about it? Any
opinions about the first place to look for the leak appreciated.

--

Roger Long

Dennis Pogson

Roger Long wrote:
I just met the follow across the dock who bought a Paceship sailboat
about 25 - 27 feet long. He's a small boat sailor with his first boat
so most of us know what he's in for. I can tell I'll be giving him
lots of help.

He doesn't know what the engine is but it says "Universal" on the
panel and is a single cylinder diesel with the cylinder horizontal. It
runs well but he has a bilge full of oil and he says it only leaks
when it is running. Then, it leaks a lot.

Is anyone here familiar with these engines? Can you tell me what it is
and point me to someplace where I can learn more about it? Any
opinions about the first place to look for the leak appreciated.

The old Yanmars were single cylinder horizontally-dispoed engines. Replacing
the sump gasket would help as if I remember correctly they were splash
lubrication with no pump. There was a single decompression lever on the
cylinder head to enable hand starting which was frequently hard against a
bulkhead.

DSK

Roger Long wrote:

I just met the follow across the dock who bought a Paceship sailboat
about 25 – 27 feet long. He’s a small boat sailor with his first boat
so most of us know what he’s in for. I can tell I’ll be giving him
lots of help.

He doesn’t know what the engine is but it says "Universal" on the
panel and is a single cylinder diesel with the cylinder horizontal. It
runs well but he has a bilge full of oil and he says it only leaks
when it is running. Then, it leaks a lot.

Is anyone here familiar with these engines? Can you tell me what it is
and point me to someplace where I can learn more about it? Any
opinions about the first place to look for the leak appreciated.

I think one of the other posters could be right, sound like
it could be a front main bearing. OTOH there is no reason to
tear the engine apart before making sure. It never hurts to
check the easy stuff first.

If the engine is cleaned off thoroughly (a novel concept to
some) it is much easier to spot leaks. For example rocker
covers can leak prodigiously and are much easier to fix.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Terry K

Rocker covers, or valve adjustment lower crankshaft covers depending on
the engine valvetrain, are first suspect, last checked and often the
cause of unneccessary maintenece, which your mechanic likely would be
more comfortable not telling you.

I had a case of valve adjustment cover leakage that went on and on
before remediation, after checking everything else first.

Terry K

Ronald Hugh Roberts

In article ,
Roger Long wrote:
I just met the follow across the dock who bought a Paceship sailboat
about 25 – 27 feet long. He’s a small boat sailor with his first boat
so most of us know what he’s in for. I can tell I’ll be giving him
lots of help.

He doesn’t know what the engine is but it says "Universal" on the
panel and is a single cylinder diesel with the cylinder horizontal. It
runs well but he has a bilge full of oil and he says it only leaks
when it is running. Then, it leaks a lot.

Clean it up before looking for the leak.

I have a Universal M-18 in an '86 Catalina. It's leaked twice. Both
times from the dip stick tube. You can get replacement parts from
Torresen Marine. You'll need to identify the model number.

ron
--
Ron Roberts or Phone (512) 219-0043
Usenet invented "no controlling legal authority."

Small Craft Advisory JimH General 5 June 12th 06 11:51 AM
Marine algae derived enzymes as diesel catalysts.......... [email protected] General 1 May 23rd 06 05:15 AM
Atlantic Crossing on small power boat ? Awsome Crew 6 November 17th 05 01:50 PM