Default Mosquito nets

The boat we had on flotilla last year had a mosquito net for the
companionway. It was basically a piece of simple, rectangular netting
into which light(ish) chain had been sewn along three edges. The top two
corners had bits of string with which to tie the net to the hand-rails
on the cabin-top. The chain was enough to keep the net down and stop
bugs getting in. My wife has *huge* problems with bugs, well, mostly
wasps, but she's worried anything that buzzes and flies is a wasp and is
likely to go overboard in panic[1]. It is therefore quite important that
we can keep the cabin buzz free.

I've Googled for boat and mosquito net, and all I can find is those
hatch covers that fit over roof hatches, not for the companionway. We
don't have a sewing machine so can't knock one up, any ideas where we
might find one?

Justin.

1. Yes, really... you just don't want to know about it. :-(

--
Justin C, by the sea.

Justin C wrote:

[...]

Most of the ones I've seen are custom made - usually by the boat
owner. I'd suggest using finer net (for no-see-ums) and using glue to
put the chain onto the edges if you can get a sewing machine. Or see
if the home ec teacher (if there still is one) at a local middle
school, or even a sail maker to do one for you. Or we get our sails
repaired by the local Amish guy who does truck tarps. Just think
outside the box a little bit.

On Sun, 17 May 2009 23:12:44 -0000, Justin C
wrote:

[...]

Buy a sewing machine. Second hand they are cheap. Easy to fix. Aren't
hard to learn to use and are quite useful for various projects....

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Justin C wrote in
:

The boat we had on flotilla last year had a mosquito net for the

If you're gonna raft up with a bunch of boaters, as we do a lot here, make
sure one of them has a serious diesel genset aboard so everyone can run
their air conditioners, as we do a lot here, pitching in at the diesel dock
to fill up his nice trawler or tugboat as we arrive back at the marina,
hung over, sunburned to a crisp and smiling from ear to ear over such a
great weekend with friends.....

My job is the music system, beach music from the tugboat's flybridge out
over the raftup. Ever see drunks dancing on a curved deck at
midnight?...hilarious!

All the comforts of the marina....way out in the swamps!

THANK YOU NORDIC TUG AND NORTHERN LIGHTS!!

--
-----
Larry

If a man goes way out into the woods all alone and says something,
is it still wrong, even though no woman hears him?