Default Grand Bahama Western End advice needed

Grand Bahama Western End advice needed

We're going to be staging for our jump from the Bahamas to Saint Simons
Island from the western end of Grand Bahama.

A: One of our contacts along the way in the Bahamas had told us of a very
sheltered small anchorage near West End, but we didn't write down the name,
and can't be sure we're seeing it on the charts. We aren't marina pocketed,
so it will be anchoring out.

B: In the western end of GBI, are there provisioning and other niceties
available reasonably easily (walking, or other close-to-anchoring/dinghy
docking)?

Experienced advice on both of those would be appreciated.

Thanks.

L8R

Skip and crew, lying Warderick Wells, Exuma, soon to jump off for either the
Berries or western GBI

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

"And then again, when you sit at the helm of your little ship on a clear
night, and gaze at the countless stars overhead, and realize that you are
quite alone on a wide, wide sea, it is apt to occur to you that in the
general scheme of things you are merely an insignificant speck on the
surface of the ocean; and are not nearly so important or as self-sufficient
as you thought you were. Which is an exceedingly wholesome thought, and one
that may effect a permanent change in your deportment that will be greatly
appreciated by your friends."- James S. Pitkin

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
Grand Bahama Western End advice needed

We're going to be staging for our jump from the Bahamas to Saint Simons
Island from the western end of Grand Bahama.

A: One of our contacts along the way in the Bahamas had told us of a very
sheltered small anchorage near West End, but we didn't write down the
name, and can't be sure we're seeing it on the charts. We aren't marina
pocketed, so it will be anchoring out.

B: In the western end of GBI, are there provisioning and other niceties
available reasonably easily (walking, or other close-to-anchoring/dinghy
docking)?

Experienced advice on both of those would be appreciated.

Here's the ticket, Skippy. You should approach West end via the Indian Rock
Channel. If you have an Explorer Chartbook of the Abacos this should be easy
to follow. From Barracuda Shoals at the Western entrance to Indian Rock
Channel proceed along the channel until you get to the Goodwill Channel
(26deg 43.8minN, 78deg 59.8minW) Turn to port on a course approx 125T and
proceed carefully along the channel (at high tide) to a waypoint at (26deg
43.0minN, 78deg 58.4minW). Then turn to starboard about 175degT and proceed
carefully to the marked anchorage at (26deg 42.1minN, 78deg 58.3minW)

This route is shown on the explorer charts (Chart GB 2 page 37 in my
book)and you can get in at high tide. Low tide will be a bit iffy with your
draft so anchor in a spot where you will not be aground at low tide. This
anchorage will put you close to the town and services only a short dinghy
hop away. There is some current running through this anchorage but it isn't
too strong but lay to two anchors Bahamian style as the holding isn't the
greatest. Light sand on rock. For peace of mind snorkel down and set you
anchors in cracks or pits in the rock and you should be fine.

Unless the wind is howling the water should be clear enough for visual
navigation. You should be able to see the bottom, no problem. When I was
there the dark spots were grass and not coral heads. I did not note any
coral heads in the area. Plan your departure on a high tide.

Fair Winds,
Wilbur Hubbard

Default Grand Bahama Western End advice needed - correction

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...
"Flying Pig" wrote in message
Grand Bahama Western End advice needed

We're going to be staging for our jump from the Bahamas to Saint Simons
Island from the western end of Grand Bahama.

A: One of our contacts along the way in the Bahamas had told us of a
very sheltered small anchorage near West End, but we didn't write down
[...]

Change "Western" to "Eastern" at the Barracuda Shoals entrance.

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
Grand Bahama Western End advice needed

We're going to be staging for our jump from the Bahamas to Saint Simons
Island from the western end of Grand Bahama.

A: One of our contacts along the way in the Bahamas had told us of a
[...]

Doh! Thanks, Greg, for correcting my dyslexia. Poor Skippy would have
thought I was trying to pull his leg or something. But, then again, I'm not
so sure Skippy knows east from west. :-)

Wilbur Hubbard

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 18:57:58 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Gregory Hall" wrote in message
"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message

Fair Winds,
Wilbur Hubbard

Change "Western" to "Eastern" at the Barracuda Shoals entrance.

Doh! Thanks, Greg, for correcting my dyslexia. Poor Skippy would have
thought I was trying to pull his leg or something. But, then again, I'm not
so sure Skippy knows east from west. :-)

Wilbur Hubbard

Maybe some props would be useful to stay in the right character.
Use different computers and hang the gear on the actual computer so
there's less chance of mistake.
Always wear a "skipper" hat when playing Wilbur.
Switch to stocking mask when doing Greg.
You're not a young man any more.
Probably time to retire those names too.

--Vic

wrote:
"Gregory Hall" wrote in message
"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
Fair Winds,
Wilbur Hubbard

Change "Western" to "Eastern" at the Barracuda Shoals entrance.

Doh! Thanks, Greg, for correcting my dyslexia. Poor Skippy would have
thought I was trying to pull his leg or something. But, then again, I'm not
so sure Skippy knows east from west. :-)

Wilbur Hubbard

Maybe some props would be useful to stay in the right character.
Use different computers and hang the gear on the actual computer so
there's less chance of mistake.
Always wear a "skipper" hat when playing Wilbur.
Switch to stocking mask when doing Greg.
You're not a young man any more.
Probably time to retire those names too.

--Vic

Did Wilbur actually post something useful? Even I got out my charts
and looked at that one.

Are you refering to Great Sale?? If so it's a good anchorage in all
but a SW to W wind. Have staged ther several times waiting to cross
to the states. Un-inhabited (like Wilbur). From there to Memory Rock
then cross.

Advice needed MMC ASA 2 January 21st 09 09:57 AM
Powerboat trip from Grand Bahama to Florida AGrigorof Cruising 10 March 2nd 08 12:34 AM
Jet Ski Advice Needed Tom General 0 June 27th 05 02:24 PM
Advice needed Adrian Boat Building 9 September 23rd 03 06:06 PM
APBA Offshore Brings Powerboat Excitement Back to Grand Bahama Island MafiaMuthaFoker Power Boat Racing 4 July 21st 03 06:11 PM