Default Grand Bahama Western End advice needed

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
Grand Bahama Western End advice needed

We're going to be staging for our jump from the Bahamas to Saint Simons
Island from the western end of Grand Bahama.

A: One of our contacts along the way in the Bahamas had told us of a very
sheltered small anchorage near West End, but we didn't write down the
name, and can't be sure we're seeing it on the charts. We aren't marina
pocketed, so it will be anchoring out.

B: In the western end of GBI, are there provisioning and other niceties
available reasonably easily (walking, or other close-to-anchoring/dinghy
docking)?

Experienced advice on both of those would be appreciated.

Here's the ticket, Skippy. You should approach West end via the Indian Rock
Channel. If you have an Explorer Chartbook of the Abacos this should be easy
to follow. From Barracuda Shoals at the Western entrance to Indian Rock
Channel proceed along the channel until you get to the Goodwill Channel
(26deg 43.8minN, 78deg 59.8minW) Turn to port on a course approx 125T and
proceed carefully along the channel (at high tide) to a waypoint at (26deg
43.0minN, 78deg 58.4minW). Then turn to starboard about 175degT and proceed
carefully to the marked anchorage at (26deg 42.1minN, 78deg 58.3minW)

This route is shown on the explorer charts (Chart GB 2 page 37 in my
book)and you can get in at high tide. Low tide will be a bit iffy with your
draft so anchor in a spot where you will not be aground at low tide. This
anchorage will put you close to the town and services only a short dinghy
hop away. There is some current running through this anchorage but it isn't
too strong but lay to two anchors Bahamian style as the holding isn't the
greatest. Light sand on rock. For peace of mind snorkel down and set you
anchors in cracks or pits in the rock and you should be fine.

Unless the wind is howling the water should be clear enough for visual
navigation. You should be able to see the bottom, no problem. When I was
there the dark spots were grass and not coral heads. I did not note any
coral heads in the area. Plan your departure on a high tide.

Fair Winds,
Wilbur Hubbard