Harvey Waxman

Default Barnacles on prop

Would it be likely for a heavy growth of barnacles on a prop to prevent an
engine from getting up to speed?

I have a 21 HP Westerbeke which won't go above 1500 RPM in gear but has no
trouble in neutral. I dove down and the prop turns easily enough when not
engaged but is loaded with barnacles worse than I have ever seen it.

I'm going back down to scrape but was wondering if I have more problems than
that?

Thanks

Harvey

--
Harvey Products makers of Dinghy Dogs?
The Boater's Best Friend

Harvey Waxman

In article lCBKc.4416$tR1.4256@lakeread07,
"Garland Gray II" wrote:

You bet it would. Will also result in black exhaust smoke when you try to go
faster.

I appreciate the replies. Thanks

--
Harvey Products makers of Dinghy Dogs?
The Boater's Best Friend
http://www.dinghydogs.com
Ladies' handbags and accessories
http://www.deducktibles.com
Remove thefrown to email me
Shawn

yes, even just a small number of barnacles will contribute to a loss of revs
and add additional load on the engine. Scrape the buggars off. Unfortunately
they will be back soon.

One day someone will invent something you can apply underwater to props.
I've had to slip boats all too often when the only thing in need of a clean
was the prop and rudder . . .

Shawn
"Scallywag"
Brisbane Australia

"Garland Gray II" wrote:

You bet it would. Will also result in black exhaust smoke when you try

to go
faster.

I appreciate the replies. Thanks

--
Harvey Products makers of Dinghy Dogs?
The Boater's Best Friend
http://www.dinghydogs.com
Ladies' handbags and accessories
http://www.deducktibles.com
Remove thefrown to email me

Doug Dotson

Pettit makes a great product that is a spray on zinc.
Several coats applied before launching will keep
the nasties off for a season. Since it is zinc, it
also provides cathodic protection as well.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Garland Gray II" wrote:

You bet it would. Will also result in black exhaust smoke when you try

to go
faster.

I appreciate the replies. Thanks

--
Harvey Products makers of Dinghy Dogs?
The Boater's Best Friend
http://www.dinghydogs.com
Ladies' handbags and accessories
http://www.deducktibles.com
Remove thefrown to email me

M Gallagher

The barnacles will keep the prop from reaching anywhere near max rpm and
could damage cutlass bearing if run out of balance long enough.
Once clean the problem should resolve itself.
Good Luck
Mike
"Harvey Waxman" wrote in message
Would it be likely for a heavy growth of barnacles on a prop to prevent an
engine from getting up to speed?

I have a 21 HP Westerbeke which won't go above 1500 RPM in gear but has no
trouble in neutral. I dove down and the prop turns easily enough when not
engaged but is loaded with barnacles worse than I have ever seen it.

I'm going back down to scrape but was wondering if I have more problems

than
that?

Thanks

Harvey

--
Harvey Products makers of Dinghy Dogs?
The Boater's Best Friend
http://www.dinghydogs.com
Ladies' handbags and accessories
http://www.deducktibles.com
Remove thefrown to email me

John Smith

The barnacles are most likely the problem! Other issues might include build
up on the hull - this also makes the motor work harder.

"Harvey Waxman" wrote in message
Would it be likely for a heavy growth of barnacles on a prop to prevent an
engine from getting up to speed?

I have a 21 HP Westerbeke which won't go above 1500 RPM in gear but has no
trouble in neutral. I dove down and the prop turns easily enough when not
engaged but is loaded with barnacles worse than I have ever seen it.

I'm going back down to scrape but was wondering if I have more problems

than
that?

Thanks

Harvey

--
Harvey Products makers of Dinghy Dogs?
The Boater's Best Friend
http://www.dinghydogs.com
Ladies' handbags and accessories
http://www.deducktibles.com
Remove thefrown to email me

prop advise needed Gregory McGuire General 3 July 7th 04 01:25 AM
Prop christopher krigbaum General 4 June 26th 04 01:07 PM
Volvo 270 outdrive prop cone replacement? Bob General 5 May 18th 04 08:57 PM
Removing lower unit from 40 hp Johnson outboard - Help? Brian Silver General 9 September 29th 03 06:17 PM
1972 Johnson 20 HP - Can't Find A Prop RDJ Boat Building 2 September 6th 03 01:18 PM