JAXAshby

Default Dietz Lanterns available in the Tidewater Virginia area

Reading can be overrated!

of course, doony. of course.

but *you* did claim that reading is tantamount to understanding.
Ken Heaton

Jax, when you post on a subject about which you are knowledgeable, you can
make interesting and informative contributions. Unfortunately, you seem to
have a tendency to post on subjects about which you have no experience.
Have you ever seen a Dietz 'Hurricane' or 'Blizzard' lantern lit? You
couldn't have or you wouldn't make comments like "It is like trying to read
by the light of four birthday candles." You must be thinking about a
smaller Dietz lantern or have only seen examples with badly trimmed wicks.
Certainly it isn't as bright as a Coleman camp lantern, but it less bother
to light and silent while lit so I tend to use it as often as a Coleman and
I have no trouble reading by it if necessary.
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
there you have it, folks. doony telling use that believes advertising

because
if it weren't so they wouldn't print it.

doony doens't read when it gets dark, it seems.

Lehman says it is about as bright as two small candles. So, who do

*you*
believe?

** I'm inclined to believe the advertising. My lantern has a big wide

wick
and certainly throws more light than your tealight candles. You should

stay
away from those 'Partylite' candle sales parties all the girls go to. You
pay twice what the items are worth.

JAXAshby

Jax, when you post on a subject about which you are knowledgeable, you can
make interesting and informative contributions.

Thank you.

Have you ever seen a Dietz 'Hurricane' or 'Blizzard' lantern lit?

yes.

btw, Lehmans compares light output for the various "non-electric" lamps it
sells.
Parallax

"Don White" wrote in message ...
"JAXAshby" wrote in message
donny, just WHAT hurricane did you say hit you WHERE and you were unable

to buy
a Dietz lantern to light your way for HOW many days?

btw, doonny, have you ever tried to read by light of Dietz lantern? It is

like
trying to read by the light of four birthday candles.

"Don White", why is it the you who live in Virginia have a Canadian

email
address?

** Jax... I think you're getting me mixed up with the original poster.
Late in September of 2003 we suffered a direct hit from Hurricane Juan,
which should have been classed as catagory 2 strength as it roared through
here. See the sites Gene pointed out.
I was able to buy a lantern as soon as the stores re-opened...no problem.
My street's power was out for 6 days & nights as I mentioned.
No, I haven't tried to read by Dietz lantern......I was more concerned with
walking around the house without bumping into tables or falling down stairs.
We try to be resourceful in this area..vs NY where all goes to sh*t when a
little brownout happens on occasion.

In 1985, got hit by Hurricane Kate. Didnt have power for three weeks.
Used our trusty carbide lamps for light. Not too useful for sailing
although they would be useful for JAX (throw some calcium carbide into
the bilge to clean it). So why is it that ppl in VA think not having
power for a few days was such a disaster?
JAXAshby

gene, you have no reason to lecture anyone on anything mechanical. it took you
yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrs to get a license attainable by 18 year old kids.

you still don't count enough to proofread for.

gene, you don't seem understand. you are not worth proof reading anything

for.

No, Jax, *you* are the one that doesn't understand. You aren't
proofreading in homage to any reader, you are proofreading in an
attempt not too look careless, uneducated, and incompetent to write
comprehensible sentences.

It really is a message to readers about your character and polish. I
can only image that your mechanical ability and understanding of
physics mirrors your sloppy posts. Bolts not torqued. Use of pliers
instead of a wrench. Hammering things into place. Physics principles
used to fit situations that just don't fit. All because you can't be
bothered by the details.

Without going into the content of your posting, doesn't that about sum
it up?

JAXAshby

gene, you seem to have qualified for the not-coveted-at-all "schlackoff award
for abject stupidity" by your post below.

gene, you have no reason to lecture anyone on anything mechanical. it took

you
yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrs to get a license attainable by 18 year old kids.

you still don't count enough to proofread for.

gene, you don't seem understand. you are not worth proof reading anything
for.

No, Jax, *you* are the one that doesn't understand. You aren't
proofreading in homage to any reader, you are proofreading in an
attempt not too look careless, uneducated, and incompetent to write
comprehensible sentences.

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/ Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillageinn.com/directions.asp Where Southport,NC
is located.
http://www.southharbourvillageinn.linksysnet.com Real Time
Pictures at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats
at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

JAXAshby

gene, you don't seem to understand. I don't care whether or not you think I

look careless, uneducated, and incompetent to write
comprehensible sentences

you worry about what I think, I don't worry about what you think. that's the
way it is, gene, get used to it.
JAXAshby

It really is a message to readers about your character and polish.

no it isn't, gene, it is a message to you about what I think of you.

I can only image

it is unlikely, gene, you can imagine anything.

*I* don't really care.

obviously not, gene.
Don White

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
It really is a message to readers about your character and polish.

obviously not, gene.

Give it up Jax. You've been proven wrong (as usual) on the lantern question
so take your correction like a man and move on.