Default ??? about anchoring to a sand beach

Can anyone suggest a good way of anchoring to a sand
beach? I drove a regular anchor in, and tied it down with
a dog tie out screw. That seemed to work okay, but I'm
afraid it might still pull loose if the wind gets too strong.
Doug Kanter

My dad used to keep a 6' steel pipe and a sledge hammer on the boat, and
hammer the pipe down into wet sand, angled at 20-30 degrees away from the
water. He'd tie a 2nd line to that, in addition to the Danforth anchor,
which he'd bury by hand until it was in contact with wet sand. A few whacks
on the side of the pipe would release it. This method was enough to keep a
32' Luhrs in place in all sorts of weather. By the way, there was always a
2nd anchor from the stern to keep the prop off the beach. I'm sure this
absorbed quite a bit of force and helped the beach anchor.

wrote in message
news
Can anyone suggest a good way of anchoring to a sand
beach? I drove a regular anchor in, and tied it down with
a dog tie out screw. That seemed to work okay, but I'm
afraid it might still pull loose if the wind gets too strong.

Jim Richardson

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 17:46:57 GMT,
Doug Kanter wrote:
My dad used to keep a 6' steel pipe and a sledge hammer on the boat,
and hammer the pipe down into wet sand, angled at 20-30 degrees away
from the water. He'd tie a 2nd line to that, in addition to the
Danforth anchor, which he'd bury by hand until it was in contact with
wet sand. A few whacks on the side of the pipe would release it. This
method was enough to keep a 32' Luhrs in place in all sorts of
weather. By the way, there was always a 2nd anchor from the stern to
keep the prop off the beach. I'm sure this absorbed quite a bit of
force and helped the beach anchor.

Used to do a lot of 4 wheeling in the desert. Usual trick for anchoring
the winch when you get stuck, was 3 of the metal fence stakes, pounded
in about 1-2m apart, heading away from the winch, then line, from the
bottom of the furthest stake, to the top of the next one in, and a line
from the bottom of that one, to the top of the last one, so it looks
like a sawtooth wave. This did a really good job of anchoring for
winching out a stuck truck. Even in soft sand. Obviously, the deeper the
stake could be hammered in, the better.

That, and burying one of the spare tyres in the sand, with the winch
line attached, but not sure that's relevent here

wrote in message
news
Can anyone suggest a good way of anchoring to a sand
beach? I drove a regular anchor in, and tied it down with
a dog tie out screw. That seemed to work okay, but I'm
afraid it might still pull loose if the wind gets too strong.

Remember - if all you have is an axe, every problem looks like hours of fun.
Frossie

brian

wrote in message
news
Can anyone suggest a good way of anchoring to a sand
beach? I drove a regular anchor in, and tied it down with
a dog tie out screw. That seemed to work okay, but I'm
afraid it might still pull loose if the wind gets too strong.

/////////////////////////
Concrete or steel plates buried deep, large truck wheels, even fill the
centre with concrete., remember to have more than one spaced well apart
connect with chain, galvanised wire is a no no , and a good strong swivel,
especially in tidal waters, when the mooring is left unattended for any
length of time.

Jeff Morris

So tell us: how do you measure scope when the anchor is level with the boat?

BTW, a friend who has anchored out about 250 nights a year for the last 25 years
is fond of pointing to a small Danforth on the stern and saying, "That's the
anchor that held us for the 'Storm of the Century'. It was set in a mud bank
about 200 feet away."

"Harvey Lindley" wrote in message
. com...
The standard anchor should work well. Make sure your scope is right.

wrote:

Can anyone suggest a good way of anchoring to a sand
beach? I drove a regular anchor in, and tied it down with
a dog tie out screw. That seemed to work okay, but I'm
afraid it might still pull loose if the wind gets too strong.

jlmanatee

I found 4 foot long fencing corner anchors at our local farm supply
store. They have an auger at one end and an eye at the other. I use
a 30" length of dowel rod to turn them into and out of the beach.
These have worked great on our 6000 lb 22 ft. cruiser that I beach on
the Mississippi sandbars. Wave action from barges and large cruisers
have not torn us loose yet. I beach the boat bow-first, set my lines
from the aft cleats on each side and run them into the beach at about
a 30 degree angle.