Wayne.B

Default ??? about anchoring to a sand beach

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 17:39:38 GMT, wrote:
Can anyone suggest a good way of anchoring to a sand
beach? I drove a regular anchor in, and tied it down with
a dog tie out screw. That seemed to work okay, but I'm
afraid it might still pull loose if the wind gets too strong.

Assuming that the wind is blowing on to the beach, my preference is to
set the main anchor in deep water, back in towards the beach, drop a
stern anchor (typically a small danforth), and then have someone carry
it into the beach where I'll hand bury it. All of the major loads are
on the deep water anchor this way and the stern anchor is just there
to keep the boat from swinging out. If you want to be really
conservative, use two stern anchors on the beach and spread them out a
bit.

A small danforth well buried in the sand, with a lot of scope, has a
tremendous amount of holding power.