Jim Richardson

Default ??? about anchoring to a sand beach

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 17:46:57 GMT,
Doug Kanter wrote:
My dad used to keep a 6' steel pipe and a sledge hammer on the boat,
and hammer the pipe down into wet sand, angled at 20-30 degrees away
from the water. He'd tie a 2nd line to that, in addition to the
Danforth anchor, which he'd bury by hand until it was in contact with
wet sand. A few whacks on the side of the pipe would release it. This
method was enough to keep a 32' Luhrs in place in all sorts of
weather. By the way, there was always a 2nd anchor from the stern to
keep the prop off the beach. I'm sure this absorbed quite a bit of
force and helped the beach anchor.

Used to do a lot of 4 wheeling in the desert. Usual trick for anchoring
the winch when you get stuck, was 3 of the metal fence stakes, pounded
in about 1-2m apart, heading away from the winch, then line, from the
bottom of the furthest stake, to the top of the next one in, and a line
from the bottom of that one, to the top of the last one, so it looks
like a sawtooth wave. This did a really good job of anchoring for
winching out a stuck truck. Even in soft sand. Obviously, the deeper the
stake could be hammered in, the better.

That, and burying one of the spare tyres in the sand, with the winch
line attached, but not sure that's relevent here

wrote in message
news
Can anyone suggest a good way of anchoring to a sand
beach? I drove a regular anchor in, and tied it down with
a dog tie out screw. That seemed to work okay, but I'm
afraid it might still pull loose if the wind gets too strong.

Remember - if all you have is an axe, every problem looks like hours of fun.
Frossie