Default Hand signals for anchoring?

Does anybody have a good system of hand signals for anchoring, i.e. a
means for the person on the bow handling the anchor to communicate
speed and direction to the helmsman without having to yell it out?

This would be for my wife and I where she is typically at the helm
while I am on the bow. She's not real experienced at the helm so a
clear set of signals would be helpful, especially when retrieving the
anchor with the wind up, crowded anchorage, etc.

Thanks.
Jeff Morris

Get a pair of FRS radios with headsets. Your life will get much better when you
can just have a simple conversation. Or, if you have two cell phones with free
minutes on the weekends ...

wrote in message
Does anybody have a good system of hand signals for anchoring, i.e. a
means for the person on the bow handling the anchor to communicate
speed and direction to the helmsman without having to yell it out?

This would be for my wife and I where she is typically at the helm
while I am on the bow. She's not real experienced at the helm so a
clear set of signals would be helpful, especially when retrieving the
anchor with the wind up, crowded anchorage, etc.

Thanks.

Bruce

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
Get a pair of FRS radios with headsets. Your life will get much better

when you
can just have a simple conversation. Or, if you have two cell phones with

free
minutes on the weekends ...

Total bull****. Last thing you need to worry about is cheap electronics
that fail when you need them most. My wife and I have a system that
requires no verbal communications. It is based on the premise that the
person at the anchor is driving the boat with his signals and any mistakes
are due to his/her failure to convey proper hand signals.
With your back to the driver :
Steering signals
1. Arm straight to the right = steer to the right
2. Karat chop forward = steer straight
3. Arm 90 vertical = steer left
4. right index spinning in the air = anchor is up, steer on predetermined
course
Speed Signals
1. palm up with an upward movement = speed up
2. Palm down with downward movement = slow down
3. clenched fist = neutral
4. thumb up = forward gear idle speed
5. Thumb down = reverse gear idle speed
6. Slash index finger across throat = stop engine

We have never had to say a word and have never had a problem with anchoring.
If there is a problem, it reflects a lack of practice on the part of the
crew.

Bruce

Good point. We sat down and came up with ours as a team and there has never
been a cross in our communications. The thumb up and down was a result of
the direction of the shift lever.

My suggestion would be to ask you wife what hand signals she wants to
use for different anchoring tasks/commands. Then YOU memorize her
signals.
The signals she comes up with, she will recognize easier because the
are more instinctive for her.
Mark E. Willliams