Maynard G. Krebbs

Default Hand signals for anchoring?

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 21:42:59 GMT, wrote:

Does anybody have a good system of hand signals for anchoring, i.e. a
means for the person on the bow handling the anchor to communicate
speed and direction to the helmsman without having to yell it out?

This would be for my wife and I where she is typically at the helm
while I am on the bow. She's not real experienced at the helm so a
clear set of signals would be helpful, especially when retrieving the
anchor with the wind up, crowded anchorage, etc.

Thanks.

My suggestion would be to ask you wife what hand signals she wants to
use for different anchoring tasks/commands. Then YOU memorize her
signals.
The signals she comes up with, she will recognize easier because the
are more instinctive for her.
Mark E. Willliams