Texan

Default Help Wanted Advise Needed

Can anyone in this forum advise me to the best way to find a full
time, qualified captain and mate (wife?) for a cruising yacht I am
considering buying?
I do know a few local people obviously but not any that seem
appropriate, qualified and interested. The broker maintains a few
names but obviously I hope for a larger pool of applicants.
Because we will be based in Corpus Christi Texas and will be going
south a lot english/spanish is mandatory. American citizenship is not
required but must be able to legally work in the US because of our
base.
Does anyone know of an agency, clearing house or forum for this?

Texan

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 16:35:34 -0400, "Bruce on horizon"
wrote:

What are you willing to pay?
"Texan" wrote in message
.. .
Can anyone in this forum advise me to the best way to find a full
time, qualified captain and mate (wife?) for a cruising yacht I am
considering buying?
I do know a few local people obviously but not any that seem
appropriate, qualified and interested. The broker maintains a few
names but obviously I hope for a larger pool of applicants.
Because we will be based in Corpus Christi Texas and will be going
south a lot english/spanish is mandatory. American citizenship is not
required but must be able to legally work in the US because of our
base.
Does anyone know of an agency, clearing house or forum for this?

I didn't know that answering a forum question or giving advise
required payment. I guess I had the wrong idea obviously.

Rick

Texan wrote:
Can anyone in this forum advise me to the best way to find a full
time, qualified captain and mate (wife?) for a cruising yacht I am
considering buying?

There are many yacht crewing agencies on the web. Google "yacht crew
jobs" and you will find quite a few.

Rick

Steve Daniels, Seek of Spam

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 02:14:57 GMT, something compelled Texan
, to say:

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 16:35:34 -0400, "Bruce on horizon"
wrote:

What are you willing to pay?
"Texan" wrote in message
. ..
Can anyone in this forum advise me to the best way to find a full
time, qualified captain and mate (wife?) for a cruising yacht I am
considering buying?
I do know a few local people obviously but not any that seem
appropriate, qualified and interested. The broker maintains a few
names but obviously I hope for a larger pool of applicants.
Because we will be based in Corpus Christi Texas and will be going
south a lot english/spanish is mandatory. American citizenship is not
required but must be able to legally work in the US because of our
base.
Does anyone know of an agency, clearing house or forum for this?

I didn't know that answering a forum question or giving advise
required payment. I guess I had the wrong idea obviously.

Uh . . . I'm pretty sure the question could be more accurately
stated: How much are you willing to pay *the crew*.

Keith

Try these sites:
http://www.crewfile.com/
http://www.cruiser.co.za/crewfinder.asp
http://www.7knots.com/index.html
http://www.sailnet.com/messageboards/

--

Keith
__
"Texan" wrote in message
Can anyone in this forum advise me to the best way to find a full
time, qualified captain and mate (wife?) for a cruising yacht I am
considering buying?
I do know a few local people obviously but not any that seem
appropriate, qualified and interested. The broker maintains a few
names but obviously I hope for a larger pool of applicants.
Because we will be based in Corpus Christi Texas and will be going
south a lot english/spanish is mandatory. American citizenship is not
required but must be able to legally work in the US because of our
base.
Does anyone know of an agency, clearing house or forum for this?

anchorlt

Have you carefully thought through your plan for husband-wife crew?

What will you do if they get into a hallacious argument or real fight
when on board and away from home port? (I know this happens, as it did
to a friend when I was on board. It was a real mess for several days,
until wife could leave and fly home.)

Strongly suggest you try wife's or husbanad's cooking skills as part
of interview process. "Housekeeping" same.

Husband's and wife's mechanical and mantainance skills?

Navigation skills?

Ask and then confirm re crew candidates' stamina over long days and
maybe nights.

Criminal background check?

"Talk" with previous employers -- in depth and at length for quality
references.

Etc.
Texan

Thank You ------------------ Texan