posted to rec.boats.building

Default Engine mount Minn Kota trolling motors.

My first question is if anyone has used these type of trolling motors
and would they recommend them?? I'm thinking of using the RT80EM
mounted to a tiller attached to my Bank Dory.

2. Would there be a problem if I attached the unit upsidedown so as to
limit the amount of draft needed to get the motor in the water. The
manual says the cavitation plate needs to be 13" under the water for
the engine to work. I'm thinking of attaching it to a wooden
cavitation plate built into the tiller but attach it on the bottom of
the plate so as to lessen the draft required to get the props in the
water. The comapny sent me an email reply saying they only recommend
instalation as per the instructions. Anyone see a problem with what
I'm thinking of doing???????

On Feb 22, 1:25 pm, wrote:
My first question is if anyone has used these type of trolling motors
and would they recommend them?? I'm thinking of using the RT80EM
mounted to a tiller attached to my Bank Dory.

2. Would there be a problem if I attached the unit upsidedown so as to
limit the amount of draft needed to get the motor in the water. The
manual says the cavitation plate needs to be 13" under the water for
the engine to work. I'm thinking of attaching it to a wooden
cavitation plate built into the tiller but attach it on the bottom of
the plate so as to lessen the draft required to get the props in the
water. The comapny sent me an email reply saying they only recommend
instalation as per the instructions. Anyone see a problem with what
I'm thinking of doing???????

When you say "mounted to a tiller" do you mean mounted to a tiller
steered outboard? My experience fishing very shallow water for
redfish with trolling motors is that there is minimum distance
underwater that the motor has to sit, it probably is close to 13" to
the cavitation plate, maybe a little less, otherwise the motor will
make a lot of noise by sucking air into the prop and scare the fish.
You need about 18" of water to use a trolling motor; less than that
get out the pushpole. An engine mounted trolling motor would not be
my first choice for shallow water fishing, due to the stealth and
finesse required. I've had the most luck with a 30# Minnkota Endura,
transom mounted, that sits next to my tiller steered outboard. I get
100 yrds or so from my quarry, kill the outboard, drop down the
Minnkota, and slide on in silently.

Ed.
posted to rec.boats.building

Ed,

Thanks for the reply. Look at this link. GO down to features and click
on "Engine mount guide"

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/produc...il.asp?pg=fem#

Traditionally,the motor is mounted on the cavitation plate. I'd like
to put a "fake cavitation plate" on my tiller,it's just a wooden
tiller and I was thinking of putting cleats on the sides of it as a
cavitation plate, and mount the motor upside down so I wouldn't need
to draw as much water. It really isn't a cavitation plate, just 2
cleats to mount the motor. If you look at the diagram Minn Kota
provides, the motor is mounted on the cavitation plate of an outboard
13" below the water but it sticks up off the cavitation plate a few
inches. I don't have an outboard, just a tiller. I'm thinking of
making another tiller just for when I use the motor.

TIA,

Bob

On Feb 24, 8:39*am, "
wrote:
On Feb 22, 1:25 pm, wrote:

[...]

Looks like cruise ship pods miniaturized for small electric boat. The large
motor is 200 lbs thrust. Throw 2 pair under a 14 foot skiff and you'll have
a great little no-hands row boat.

wrote:
On Feb 22, 1:25 pm, wrote:

[...]

If you mount them upside down they will be under water when you are running
on plane under power of the O/B. That would be too much load for the mount.

To do what you want make a mounting plate in the shape of a horse shoe.
Develop a clamping mount lock. When you want to troll drop the mount on top
of the cavitation plate lock it in and go.

wrote in message
My first question is if anyone has used these type of trolling motors
and would they recommend them?? I'm thinking of using the RT80EM
mounted to a tiller attached to my Bank Dory.

2. Would there be a problem if I attached the unit upsidedown so as to
limit the amount of draft needed to get the motor in the water. The
manual says the cavitation plate needs to be 13" under the water for
the engine to work. I'm thinking of attaching it to a wooden
cavitation plate built into the tiller but attach it on the bottom of
the plate so as to lessen the draft required to get the props in the
water. The comapny sent me an email reply saying they only recommend
instalation as per the instructions. Anyone see a problem with what
I'm thinking of doing???????

posted to rec.boats.building

I have no outboard and I didn't want to cut a hole in the hull for a
motor well. This electric motor will be the only motor for power. I'm
aware of the constraints of electric.My biggest concern was if
mounting it upside down was a problem. I think it'll work but just
wanted some more input. Basicallt it's a Bank Dory propelled by an
electric motor mounted to a tiller. It eliminates the need for a motor
well and it looks better than a trolling motor with a shaft hanging
off the bow or transom. What do you think??

Bob

wrote in message

My first question is if anyone has used these type of trolling motors
and would they recommend them?? I'm thinking of using the RT80EM
mounted to a tiller attached to my Bank Dory.

2. Would there be a problem if I attached the unit upsidedown so as to
limit the amount of draft needed to get the motor in the water. The
manual says the cavitation plate needs to be 13" under the water for
the engine to work. I'm thinking of attaching it to a wooden
cavitation plate built into the tiller but attach it on the bottom of
the plate so as to lessen the draft required to get the props in the
water. The comapny sent me an email reply saying they only recommend
instalation as per the instructions. Anyone see a problem with what
I'm thinking of doing???????

posted to rec.boats.building

Make a swim platform type plate on the transom at the necessary position to
mount the motors as you intended. I see no problem. You could even mount
them to the hull bottom like an inboard, use two pairs controlled separately
and you would have steerage as well. A rudder would be better but that could
me added after if allowances were left from the beginning.

wrote in message

My first question is if anyone has used these type of trolling motors
and would they recommend them?? I'm thinking of using the RT80EM
mounted to a tiller attached to my Bank Dory.

2. Would there be a problem if I attached the unit upsidedown so as to
limit the amount of draft needed to get the motor in the water. The
manual says the cavitation plate needs to be 13" under the water for
the engine to work. I'm thinking of attaching it to a wooden
cavitation plate built into the tiller but attach it on the bottom of
the plate so as to lessen the draft required to get the props in the
water. The comapny sent me an email reply saying they only recommend
instalation as per the instructions. Anyone see a problem with what
I'm thinking of doing???????

posted to rec.boats.building

John ,

That's a good idea. The problem is that i need to beach this boat. I
also think the tiller will protect the motor when in forward and the
tiller can be removed when rowing. I also am planing on using 2
different tillers for sailing and motoring. It also allows me to take
the motor off the boat when not in use. I like the flexibility
mounting it on the tiller gives me.

Bob

On Fri, 22 Feb 08, doublesb wrote:
I'm thinking of using the RT80EM
mounted to a tiller attached to my Bank Dory.

I've been following this thread but I've been confused from the start.
Are you maybe using the term "tiller" when you actually mean "rudder"?
A "tiller" is simply a handle. Aka, "stick".
I can't quite picture how you can attach a RT80EM to a "tiller".
A "rudder" yes... a "tiller" no.
Or maybe I'm just missing something -shrug-

Rick
posted to rec.boats.building

Frankly, right side up looks upside down to me lol!
And it seems to me that mounting it per Minn Kota's instructions would
mean mounting it on the cavitation plate of an outboard or sterndrive,
which you, obviously, aren't going to do.
So as long as you're winging it anyway, I don't know why upside down
should present a problem.

Dayem, that thing is expensive. But you're set on that arrangement,
huh? If it were me, I'd be lookin' at a transom mounted trolling
motor. I don't really see what you are going to gain with all the
alteration and expense you're contemplating.

Rick

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 13:07:13 -0800 (PST), wrote:
I apologize if I used the wrong term. Yes, the rudder is what I mean.
I've always wrongly called it a tiller. Anyway, do you see any
problems with mounting the motor upside down??? Minn Kota said they
only indorse mounting it per the instructions.

Bob