posted to alt.sailing

Default Minn Kota model 85a trolling motor specs needed

Does anyone know the thrust and voltage specs for this older Minn Kota
trolling motor ?

Is it 12 volts DC And 85 lbs. output thrust ?

What vintage is this, year made ?

posted to alt.sailing

CAINE wrote:
Does anyone know the thrust and voltage specs for this older Minn Kota
trolling motor ?

Is it 12 volts DC And 85 lbs. output thrust ?

What vintage is this, year made ?

Don't know about your particular model but model numbers do not equal
thrust for Minn Kota. 85 lbs would be one heck of a trolling motor anyway.
Try phoning their technical help line: 800-227-6433
posted to alt.sailing

Rick Cortese wrote:
CAINE wrote:
Does anyone know the thrust and voltage specs for this older Minn Kota
trolling motor ?

Is it 12 volts DC And 85 lbs. output thrust ?

What vintage is this, year made ?

Don't know about your particular model but model numbers do not equal
thrust for Minn Kota. 85 lbs would be one heck of a trolling motor anyway.
Try phoning their technical help line: 800-227-6433

The old Minn Kota motors up to 2002, the model number DID equal the
thrust spec- because I checked an old Cabelas catalog

the model numbers don't reflect that anymore though

thanks for number

posted to alt.sailing

"Rick Cortese" wrote...
Does anyone know the thrust and voltage specs for this older Minn Kota
trolling motor ?

Is it 12 volts DC And 85 lbs. output thrust ?

Unlikely. I don't know that they ever made an 85# motor in 12V. I think the
biggest one I've seen before going to 24V was around 60# thrust... AFAIK, the
biggest 12V model they make now is 55#.

posted to alt.sailing

John Weiss wrote:
"Rick Cortese" wrote...
Does anyone know the thrust and voltage specs for this older Minn Kota
trolling motor ?

Is it 12 volts DC And 85 lbs. output thrust ?

Unlikely. I don't know that they ever made an 85# motor in 12V. I think the
biggest one I've seen before going to 24V was around 60# thrust... AFAIK, the
biggest 12V model they make now is 55#.

M-K customer service told me this is a 1984 vintage trolling motor. He
said it's 12 volt and "about" 36 lbs. thrust. He seemed unsure because
the unit is 22 years old.

I tried it out yesterday in a 14' boat with 3 people- it drove that
thing almost like a gas engine. WOW- plenty of power. All the trolling
motors I've used before seemed like real dogs compared to this. I'm
thinking this is about 40-42 lb. thrust at least, by how it drives.

It has 5 speeds and forward/reverse.

posted to alt.sailing

"CAINE" wrote...

I tried it out yesterday in a 14' boat with 3 people- it drove that
thing almost like a gas engine. WOW- plenty of power. All the trolling
motors I've used before seemed like real dogs compared to this. I'm
thinking this is about 40-42 lb. thrust at least, by how it drives.

It has 5 speeds and forward/reverse.

If you're looking for a bit more performance, look at Kipawa Props
(www.kipawapropellers.com). I put one on my 42EX and gained about 3/4 kt more
top speed on my 21' SeaPearl.

posted to alt.sailing

CAINE wrote:

John Weiss wrote:

"Rick Cortese" wrote...

Does anyone know the thrust and voltage specs for this older Minn Kota
trolling motor ?

Is it 12 volts DC And 85 lbs. output thrust ?

Unlikely. I don't know that they ever made an 85# motor in 12V. I think the
biggest one I've seen before going to 24V was around 60# thrust... AFAIK, the
biggest 12V model they make now is 55#.

M-K customer service told me this is a 1984 vintage trolling motor. He
said it's 12 volt and "about" 36 lbs. thrust. He seemed unsure because
the unit is 22 years old.

I tried it out yesterday in a 14' boat with 3 people- it drove that
thing almost like a gas engine. WOW- plenty of power. All the trolling
motors I've used before seemed like real dogs compared to this. I'm
thinking this is about 40-42 lb. thrust at least, by how it drives.

It has 5 speeds and forward/reverse.

FWIW: If anything I think the older MinnKota model numbers reflected
amps. Figure 85 amps would roughly translate to 40ish lbs of thrust.
Watts is just amps X Voltage so ~1000 Watts. 746 Watts = 1 hp so you
may have a ~1.4 hp motor.

There's a lot of other things to consider that I am ignoring like
efficiency and a 1 hp electric motor is probably equivalent to a 3 hp
gas engine. I mean your battery is supplying 1.4 hp of electricity to
the motor and it may be 40% efficient but equivalent to 3 times that of
a gas motor at that hp.

40 lbs of thrust is nothing to sneeze at anyway. I think the min
recommendation for trolling motor is something like 5 lbs thrust for
every 1,000 lbs of boat and passengers. 40 lbs in some circles would be
good'nuff for a 30' sailboat with lead keel.
posted to alt.sailing

Charlie Morgan wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 21:20:04 GMT, Rick Cortese wrote:

CAINE wrote:

snip
40 lbs of thrust is nothing to sneeze at anyway. I think the min
recommendation for trolling motor is something like 5 lbs thrust for
every 1,000 lbs of boat and passengers. 40 lbs in some circles would be
good'nuff for a 30' sailboat with lead keel.

I absolutely assure you that that is not even close to true. I own a MinnKota
that was marketed as being 3hp "rated". In other words, it was supposed to have
about the same thrust as a 3hp gas motor. I tried it as the aux for a 17 foot
1300 pound sailboat and it was probably more like a 2 hp gas motor. The regular
3.3 hp gas motor on the same boat was a LOT more powerful. Close to double. That
3hp "rated" motor has about 70 pounds of thrust. A 40 pound thrust electric
would hardly move a 30 foot keel sailboat in completely still water. A ten year
old kid with a paddle would be just as effective.

What part of minimum did you not understand?

You didn't tell how many amps your motor drew, only what the sales blurb
gave out as gas equivalent. If you happen to have an amp meter I would
be interested in the results, otherwise it is just sales hype.

40 lbs *IS* a lot if it is *REAL*. That is ~a filled 5 gallon water
container. Tie a rope around the neck of a 5 gallon container and pick
it up. I think you will find that is about as hard as you normally pull
on a line to move/dock a boat.

Apparently 40 lbs is what Caine has and he is quite happy with its
performance pushing his 14' boat with 3 people.

And how big a battery would you need to power an electric that draws 85 amps? A
100 amp hour battery weighs about 70 pounds, and since you can't draw down a
deep cycle battery more than 50% without dramatically shortening it's life, you
would have about 30 minutes of run time. So that means about a 2 mile range
between recharges.

OK, here's what is happening local to me: All two stroke outboard motors
are bannedexcept a couple of late models and only thing that is legal
everywhere is sail/oars/electric. I believe there are only 1 or 2 dams
that even let you use 4 strokes.

What people are doing is wiring two batteries in parallel so you get
double the capacity and ability to deliver double the current. An hour
run time is plenty for our reservoirs. Just heard Lake Tahoe is/has
banned two strokes too so it may be the wave of the future on fresh water.
posted to alt.sailing

"Rick Cortese" wrote...

FWIW: If anything I think the older MinnKota model numbers reflected amps.
Figure 85 amps would roughly translate to 40ish lbs of thrust.

I don't think so. Current motors are on the order of 1# thrust per amp at 12V.

Also, 85 amps is a HUGE continuous load! I wouldn't want to wire a boat for
that!

40 lbs of thrust is nothing to sneeze at anyway. I think the min
recommendation for trolling motor is something like 5 lbs thrust for every
1,000 lbs of boat and passengers. 40 lbs in some circles would be good'nuff
for a 30' sailboat with lead keel.

I don't think so here, too! My MinnKota 42EX (12V, 42# thrust, 36 amps) pushes
my 21', 1200# sailboat at about 3.5 kt in flat water -- with an aftermarket
prop. In any kind of headwind or sea, a 40# thrust motor wouldn't keep headway
on a 30' boat!

posted to alt.sailing

John Weiss wrote:
"Rick Cortese" wrote...

FWIW: If anything I think the older MinnKota model numbers reflected amps.
Figure 85 amps would roughly translate to 40ish lbs of thrust.

I don't think so. Current motors are on the order of 1# thrust per amp at 12V.

Look up motors from the 80s. That is what this is.
For example model 55 with 24# thrust
http://cgi.ebay.com/MinnKota-Trollin...QQcmdZViewItem

That will probably truncate but if you really care you can go to eBay
and find it.

Also, 85 amps is a HUGE continuous load! I wouldn't want to wire a boat for
that!

It's not my fault. I did not come up with 746 Watts/hp or Ohm's law.
Note the capital letters for the units, that is so you can blame it on
Mr. Watt and Mr. Ohm. As others noted it probably isn't an 85# thrust
like Caine originally thought. 85 amps X 12V = 1.37 hp or roughly
equivalent to a 25cc Weed Eater. I'm not sure what you think it is but I
guess that doesn't matter. I would bet that even if it does draw 85
amps, that would be peak load i.e. full throttle from standing start or
plowing through weeds. I will probably get around to testing a Weed
EaterEcho actually motor with my GPS to get top speed in the next
month just for the hell of it.

40 lbs of thrust is nothing to sneeze at anyway. I think the min
recommendation for trolling motor is something like 5 lbs thrust for every
1,000 lbs of boat and passengers. 40 lbs in some circles would be good'nuff
for a 30' sailboat with lead keel.

I don't think so here, too! My MinnKota 42EX (12V, 42# thrust, 36 amps) pushes
my 21', 1200# sailboat at about 3.5 kt in flat water -- with an aftermarket
prop. In any kind of headwind or sea, a 40# thrust motor wouldn't keep headway
on a 30' boat!

One more time, minimum i.e. for some people just moving the boat in and
out of a slip to where they can raise sails.

Another one more time, Caine seems to be very happy with his, albeit
with a smaller boat but but loaded with passengers. That would mean he
is happy with performance.

Which all means that you are not happy with marginal performance or
maybe sail where there are strong [wind, tides, currents]. That doesn't
bother me in the least. That it bothers you and Morgan that some people
are happy at lower power levels, well when I said minimum that would
mean like maybe 1 in 5 people right?