posted to alt.sailing
CAINE CAINE is offline

Default Minn Kota model 85a trolling motor specs needed

John Weiss wrote:
"Rick Cortese" wrote...
Does anyone know the thrust and voltage specs for this older Minn Kota
trolling motor ?

Is it 12 volts DC And 85 lbs. output thrust ?

Unlikely. I don't know that they ever made an 85# motor in 12V. I think the
biggest one I've seen before going to 24V was around 60# thrust... AFAIK, the
biggest 12V model they make now is 55#.

M-K customer service told me this is a 1984 vintage trolling motor. He
said it's 12 volt and "about" 36 lbs. thrust. He seemed unsure because
the unit is 22 years old.

I tried it out yesterday in a 14' boat with 3 people- it drove that
thing almost like a gas engine. WOW- plenty of power. All the trolling
motors I've used before seemed like real dogs compared to this. I'm
thinking this is about 40-42 lb. thrust at least, by how it drives.

It has 5 speeds and forward/reverse.