posted to rec.boats.building

Default Engine mount Minn Kota trolling motors.

I apologize if I used the wrong term. Yes, the rudder is what I mean.
I've always wrongly called it a tiller. Anyway, do you see any
problems with mounting the motor upside down??? Minn Kota said they
only indorse mounting it per the instructions.

Bob

On Feb 25, 1:37*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 22 Feb 08, doublesb wrote:
I'm thinking of using the RT80EM
mounted to a tiller attached to my Bank Dory.

I've been following this thread but I've been confused from the start.
Are you maybe using the term "tiller" when you actually mean "rudder"?
A "tiller" is simply a handle. Aka, "stick".
I can't quite picture how you can attach a RT80EM to a "tiller".
A "rudder" yes... a "tiller" no.
Or maybe I'm just missing something *-shrug-

Rick

posted to rec.boats.building

Well, I must be missing something. What's the advantage of mounting
these on your rudder, vs. a simpler, cheaper, and more reliable
transom mounted trolling motor? Certainly it's not better shallow
water capability. You can't be what you can get with just the transom
mounted motor as designed.

Ed.

drskew wrote:
Well, I must be missing something. What's the advantage of mounting
these on your rudder, vs. a simpler, cheaper, and more reliable
transom mounted trolling motor?

I asked the same question and I can think of only 2 possibilities.

1) Aesthetics. He's a traditionalist and doesn't want to spoil the
"look".
.......or......
2) He's into serious sailboat racing, looking for competitive
advantage, and he's up to sumthin' against the rules! ;-)

Rick
posted to rec.boats.building

On Feb 25, 7:43*pm, "
wrote:
Well, I must be missing something. *What's the advantage of mounting
these on your rudder, vs. a simpler, cheaper, and more reliable
transom mounted trolling motor? *Certainly it's not better shallow
water capability. *You can't be what you can get with just the transom
mounted motor as designed.

Ed.

A transom mounted trolling engine with 80# of thrust is the same price
if not more than an engine mounted one. I probably could get by with a
lot less thrust but I want to make sure the setup is efficient and
capable of being tranfered to a bigger boat if I build one. The look
is also important. Also, my transom is raked at 35 degrees. If I use a
transom mounted motor the shaft will be well away from the bottom
which I personally think looks unappealing. This engine will be the
main power source. Why not make it look as good as possible?? Also I
can build a RUDDER which pivots up if I hit something. I'm assuming
the shafts on trolling motors don't take hiting bottom or beaching
into account. Maybe I'm assuming wrong. There are tides involved where
I'm using this and the water can get real shallow. Price wise it's a
wash compared to the transom mounted one so why not go with one that
doesn't detract from the looks with all the advantages I have stated.

posted to rec.boats.building

They would be ideal to power something like this
http://www.carlsondesign.com/sneakesy.html

Electric inboard with plenty of room for batteries and plenty of reserve
buoyancy.

wrote in message
My first question is if anyone has used these type of trolling motors
and would they recommend them?? I'm thinking of using the RT80EM
mounted to a tiller attached to my Bank Dory.

2. Would there be a problem if I attached the unit upsidedown so as to
limit the amount of draft needed to get the motor in the water. The
manual says the cavitation plate needs to be 13" under the water for
the engine to work. I'm thinking of attaching it to a wooden
cavitation plate built into the tiller but attach it on the bottom of
the plate so as to lessen the draft required to get the props in the
water. The comapny sent me an email reply saying they only recommend
instalation as per the instructions. Anyone see a problem with what
I'm thinking of doing???????

posted to rec.boats.building

I'd say any dory or sharpie would be a perfect match for this system.
You would have many hrs on the more efficient 24V system since it
wouldn't take much to push those hulls. I'm planing on using solar
panels to charge the batteries.