posted to rec.boats.building
John C. John C. is offline

Default Engine mount Minn Kota trolling motors.

Make a swim platform type plate on the transom at the necessary position to
mount the motors as you intended. I see no problem. You could even mount
them to the hull bottom like an inboard, use two pairs controlled separately
and you would have steerage as well. A rudder would be better but that could
me added after if allowances were left from the beginning.

wrote in message
I have no outboard and I didn't want to cut a hole in the hull for a
motor well. This electric motor will be the only motor for power. I'm
aware of the constraints of electric.My biggest concern was if
mounting it upside down was a problem. I think it'll work but just
wanted some more input. Basicallt it's a Bank Dory propelled by an
electric motor mounted to a tiller. It eliminates the need for a motor
well and it looks better than a trolling motor with a shaft hanging
off the bow or transom. What do you think??

Bob

On Feb 25, 8:18 am, "John C." wrote:
If you mount them upside down they will be under water when you are
running
on plane under power of the O/B. That would be too much load for the
mount.

To do what you want make a mounting plate in the shape of a horse shoe.
Develop a clamping mount lock. When you want to troll drop the mount on
top
of the cavitation plate lock it in and go.

wrote in message

My first question is if anyone has used these type of trolling motors
and would they recommend them?? I'm thinking of using the RT80EM
mounted to a tiller attached to my Bank Dory.

2. Would there be a problem if I attached the unit upsidedown so as to
limit the amount of draft needed to get the motor in the water. The
manual says the cavitation plate needs to be 13" under the water for
the engine to work. I'm thinking of attaching it to a wooden
cavitation plate built into the tiller but attach it on the bottom of
the plate so as to lessen the draft required to get the props in the
water. The comapny sent me an email reply saying they only recommend
instalation as per the instructions. Anyone see a problem with what
I'm thinking of doing???????