posted to rec.boats.building

Default 17 foot mahogany barrelback runabout just finished

Hi all,

We just completed a brand new, not restored, 17 foot African mahogany
barrelback runabout. The really cool thing about this boat is that is has
twin 85 peak HP ELECTRIC MOTORS, Yes I said electric.

So far we have had her up over 30 MPH!.

I had to start from scratch as we could find no plans available anywhere. I
found some hull design software and we took some offsets from a 1/8 scale
model and modified the hull from there to accommodate the twin screws and
additional weight of the batteries.

We are carrying a 15000 watt battery pack of 100 amp hour deep cycle AGM
batteries which will give us all day cruising at hull speed with some
reserve to show off when desired.

Check out our web site www.edison-marine.com

There are some streaming videos on the site.

Tom in Oregon

posted to rec.boats.building

We are carrying a 15000 watt battery pack of 100 amp hour deep cycle
AGM batteries which will give us all day cruising at hull speed with
some reserve to show off when desired.

Tom in Oregon

Whats the 'on plane' run time?

"Jerry" wrote in message
We are carrying a 15000 watt battery pack of 100 amp hour deep cycle
AGM batteries which will give us all day cruising at hull speed with
some reserve to show off when desired.

Tom in Oregon

Whats the 'on plane' run time?

On a four hour outing we had her up on plane for about a half an hour
besides just crusin'.

We are still fine tuning the batteries/controllers and props for best
performance.

"Island Teak" wrote in message
Sounds great....but, just share the 'african mahogany' part with your best
friends.

...Ken

Actually I checked this out before we started to build the boat. African
Mahogany is not endangered or in short supply since it is actually several
different species all classified as African Mahogany. I have been in the
wood working business for over Twenty five years and researched this
extensively.

Besides I know of no other specie that would work for this boat. We needed
both light weight and flexibility to make the shape come to pass.

If you know of specific issues with African Mahogany I would like to know
about them.

Thanks for the input

Tom

"Delburt D" wrote in message
Hi all,

We just completed a brand new, not restored, 17 foot African mahogany
barrelback runabout. The really cool thing about this boat is that is
has twin 85 peak HP ELECTRIC MOTORS, Yes I said electric.

So far we have had her up over 30 MPH!.

I had to start from scratch as we could find no plans available anywhere.
I found some hull design software and we took some offsets from a 1/8
scale model and modified the hull from there to accommodate the twin
screws and additional weight of the batteries.

We are carrying a 15000 watt battery pack of 100 amp hour deep cycle AGM
batteries which will give us all day cruising at hull speed with some
reserve to show off when desired.

Check out our web site www.edison-marine.com

There are some streaming videos on the site.

Tom in Oregon

posted to rec.boats.building

Hello Delburt,

Please do not let my post belittle what you have accomplished.

I am simply obsessive when it comes to nomenclature ,in regards to wood. It
is best , in my opinion, to know the wood by it's real name.

very best regards...Ken

"Delburt D" wrote in message
Hi all,

We just completed a brand new, not restored, 17 foot African mahogany
barrelback runabout. The really cool thing about this boat is that is
has twin 85 peak HP ELECTRIC MOTORS, Yes I said electric.

So far we have had her up over 30 MPH!.

I had to start from scratch as we could find no plans available
anywhere. I found some hull design software and we took some offsets
from a 1/8 scale model and modified the hull from there to accommodate
the twin screws and additional weight of the batteries.

We are carrying a 15000 watt battery pack of 100 amp hour deep cycle AGM
batteries which will give us all day cruising at hull speed with some
reserve to show off when desired.

Check out our web site www.edison-marine.com

There are some streaming videos on the site.

Tom in Oregon

posted to rec.boats.building

No harm done Ken, I am always open to new information. The Usenet has been
a great source of information and also a way for me to help others as well.

This project is the coolest thing I have ever built, and I have worked in
many multimillion dollar homes as well as some large yachts.

The greatest challenge to me was honing my skills in both design and
construction of this boat. We conceived the Idea a little less than a year
ago, made the first sawdust on Feb 23rd and splashed her on Aug 23rd same
year!

"May the barnacle gods be kind to your bottom"

Tom

"Delburt D" wrote in message
Hi all,

We just completed a brand new, not restored, 17 foot African mahogany
barrelback runabout. The really cool thing about this boat is that is
has twin 85 peak HP ELECTRIC MOTORS, Yes I said electric.

So far we have had her up over 30 MPH!.

I had to start from scratch as we could find no plans available
anywhere. I found some hull design software and we took some offsets
from a 1/8 scale model and modified the hull from there to accommodate
the twin screws and additional weight of the batteries.

We are carrying a 15000 watt battery pack of 100 amp hour deep cycle
AGM batteries which will give us all day cruising at hull speed with
some reserve to show off when desired.

Check out our web site www.edison-marine.com

There are some streaming videos on the site.

Tom in Oregon

posted to rec.boats.building

Tom:

Beautiful boat - cool website. Your design in very reminiscent of Ken
Hankinson's Barrelback 19, see: http://glen-l.com/designs/hankinson/barrelback19.html

You indicate that the boat will cruise 'all day' at "hull speed."

This term is generally used for displacement boats. That is, hull
speed is generally not applied to boats whose speed is not limited by
wave drag.

Be that as it may, do you mean that your vessel can cruise all day at
5.52 knots (sq root 17 X 1.34)?

Are Runabouts generally used by folks who'll be content with a few
quick bursts of speed? I mean, haven't classic mahogony runabouts had
small block V 8 engines for the 'go-fast' - as in "go-fast-all-day"
crowd?

Not trying to be a naysayer, just curious as to your motivation.

Mike Worrall
Los Angeles

wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for your response Mike.

While we are hoping to see better performance down the road, there are many
lakes that not only do not allow gas motors but also no wakes. This is our
initial target. We are just offering a way to cruise and look better than
the current choices in electric powered boats.

We Have had her at several boat shows so far and have received very positive
feedback. Basically we have a cocktail cruiser with attitude!!

As battery technology improves, several new types are currently in
production and pre production.

Tom

posted to rec.boats.building

wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 17:21:47 GMT, "Delburt D"
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Hydrogen fuel cell.

Yea! and if we can figure out a way to crack the Hydrogen and Oxygen on
board we would have unlimited rage!!!

This technology will come to pass I think but it is still a ways off.