posted to rec.boats.building

Default 17 foot mahogany barrelback runabout just finished

wrote in message
Tom:

Beautiful boat - cool website. Your design in very reminiscent of Ken
Hankinson's Barrelback 19, see:
http://glen-l.com/designs/hankinson/barrelback19.html

You indicate that the boat will cruise 'all day' at "hull speed."

This term is generally used for displacement boats. That is, hull
speed is generally not applied to boats whose speed is not limited by
wave drag.

Be that as it may, do you mean that your vessel can cruise all day at
5.52 knots (sq root 17 X 1.34)?

Are Runabouts generally used by folks who'll be content with a few
quick bursts of speed? I mean, haven't classic mahogony runabouts had
small block V 8 engines for the 'go-fast' - as in "go-fast-all-day"
crowd?

Not trying to be a naysayer, just curious as to your motivation.

Mike Worrall
Los Angeles

Thanks for your response Mike.

While we are hoping to see better performance down the road, there are many
lakes that not only do not allow gas motors but also no wakes. This is our
initial target. We are just offering a way to cruise and look better than
the current choices in electric powered boats.

We Have had her at several boat shows so far and have received very positive
feedback. Basically we have a cocktail cruiser with attitude!!

As battery technology improves, several new types are currently in
production and pre production.

Tom

posted to rec.boats.building

Default SPAM 17 foot mahogany barrelback runabout just finished - SPAM

Sorry you feel that way,

While I do want to sell boats, I don't really think this is going to get me
any leads.

Just for the record I have made this post for informational reference. We
have a great discussion going on rec.boats.

We Have tried to build a boat in the spirit of the past but with newer
technology which reduces maintenance and is designed for the application.
Beside how would you feel if we took a vintage boat and modified it!! I
feel that would be sacrilege.

I am open to all questions regarding the construction methods and drive
system. I am here to share not sell.

Tom

wrote in message

Spam. Sam for a nice looking boat, but still spam.
Plus, for 100,000 to 160,000 USD I can get the
real thing, not some lame 21st century imitation.

On Nov 27, 9:03 am, "Delburt D" wrote:
Hi all,

We just completed a brand new, not restored, 17 foot African mahogany
barrelback runabout. The really cool thing about this boat is that is
has
twin 85 peak HP ELECTRIC MOTORS, Yes I said electric.

So far we have had her up over 30 MPH!.

I had to start from scratch as we could find no plans available anywhere.
found some hull design software and we took some offsets from a 1/8 scale
model and modified the hull from there to accommodate the twin screws and
additional weight of the batteries.

We are carrying a 15000 watt battery pack of 100 amp hour deep cycle AGM
batteries which will give us all day cruising at hull speed with some
reserve to show off when desired.

Check out our web sitewww.edison-marine.com

There are some streaming videos on the site.

Tom in Oregon

"jim.isbell" wrote in message
On Nov 27, 11:03 am, "Delburt D" wrote:
Hi all,

We just completed a brand new, not restored, 17 foot African mahogany
barrelback runabout. The really cool thing about this boat is that is
has
twin 85 peak HP ELECTRIC MOTORS, Yes I said electric.

A year ago after I finished my strip planked 13' canoe using teak,
mahogany and red cedar I hatched the idea of doing a 16' barrel back
and using a 40 hp (36 volt) electric motor using the same hull
building skills. I have the plans drawn but its on hold. I still
plan on it, but my wife is trying to talk me out of it. It shouldn't
be but about 3 times the work as the canoe and strip planking is not
really work anyway. But the Cedar would be my choice because it is as
beautiful as the mahogany AND its lighter. No, I am NOT saying yours
is not Beautiful, it IS, Its awesomely beautiful. But I will go for
the lighter weight so I can carry more batteries.

Just for the record I think you will find this design to be VERY time
consuming. Granted we had to develop our design as we went but we still have
over 1800 hours in the prototype. Cedar should work very well for your
boat. We chose the Mahogany after several months of market research. It is
more durable but still the lightest of all the Mahoganies. I also have been
a professional craftsman for over twenty five years so I do have a little
bit of experiance in this realm. You will definitely need some helping
hands especially when you tackle the side planking maybe you could get you
wife involved in that respect and she might enjoy it!!

Good Luck! "May the barnacle gods be kind to your bottom"

Tom

posted to rec.boats.building

wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 17:21:47 GMT, "Delburt D"
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Hydrogen fuel cell.

Yea! and if we can figure out a way to crack the Hydrogen and Oxygen on
board we would have unlimited rage!!!

This technology will come to pass I think but it is still a ways off.

posted to rec.boats.building

"Delburt D" wrote in

Sorry you feel that way,

While I do want to sell boats, I don't really think this is going to
get me any leads.

Just for the record I have made this post for informational reference.
We have a great discussion going on rec.boats.

We Have tried to build a boat in the spirit of the past but with newer
technology which reduces maintenance and is designed for the
application. Beside how would you feel if we took a vintage boat and
modified it!! I feel that would be sacrilege.

I am open to all questions regarding the construction methods and
drive system. I am here to share not sell.

Some discussion of the construction or links to photos of the hull in build
would be interesting for a boatbuilding group! As would some more details
or photo's of the drive train.

posted to rec.boats.building

wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 17:59:52 GMT, "Delburt D"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

I think it's getting pretty close. I recently read about a Honda
automobile that is in production and using it. The biggest obstacle is
establishing a network of places to obtain the Hydrogen. I think the
first place it will catch on is for fleet use, where the vehicles
return to a central location every night. Taxi cabs, utility
companies, etc. Once that sector gets firmly established, I think
you'll see Hydrogen stations start to appear in major Metro areas.

It sure solves the battery issue!

Amen Brother!!!

"Jerry" wrote in message
"Delburt D" wrote in

Sorry you feel that way,

While I do want to sell boats, I don't really think this is going to
get me any leads.

Just for the record I have made this post for informational reference.
We have a great discussion going on rec.boats.

We Have tried to build a boat in the spirit of the past but with newer
technology which reduces maintenance and is designed for the
application. Beside how would you feel if we took a vintage boat and
modified it!! I feel that would be sacrilege.

I am open to all questions regarding the construction methods and
drive system. I am here to share not sell.

Some discussion of the construction or links to photos of the hull in
build
would be interesting for a boatbuilding group! As would some more details
or photo's of the drive train.

I will be working on just that in the coming weeks. My contracting company
website was broker for several months during construction but I have over
450 pictures of the construction from the strongback to completion. Until
then I am happy to field any questions.

The drive train is simply a direct coupling of the motor shaft to the prop
shat using standard marine couplings and shaft logs.

We are looking a a v-drive reduction gear to get our motor speed up and
increase usable torque at the prop so we can use a prop with greater pitch.
Right now we are spinning a pair of 13x 12 counter rotating wheels.

I will work on the construction pictures as time is available.

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 13:21:19 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 17:59:52 GMT, "Delburt D"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Mercedes has been tinkering with these things since the 1990's and I
believe have several test vehicles on the road (I believe Buses at
some location in England) for several years. But as you say, refueling
is a problem.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:remove underscores
from address for reply)

On Nov 29, 7:50 pm, Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 13:21:19 -0500, wrote:
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 17:59:52 GMT, "Delburt D"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

I have recently been interested in the Air Car that is being made in
France and will be marketed in India next year. Using compressed air
to run the vehicle and they CLAIM to have air conditioning available
as well. Here in south Texas a car without air conditioning will NOT
sell.
posted to rec.boats.building

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 17:47:13 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Be that as it may, do you mean that your vessel can cruise all day at
5.52 knots (sq root 17 X 1.34)?

There is some harbor in California [San Diego?] with a 6 MPH speed
limit. There are a bunch of 6 MPH electric boats. $20 000 cocktail
cruisers. Written up in Boating.

Casady