BoatBanter.com

-   -   17 foot mahogany barrelback runabout just finished (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/88482-17-foot-mahogany-barrelback-runabout-just-finished.html)

Delburt D November 27th 07 05:03 PM

17 foot mahogany barrelback runabout just finished

Hi all,

We just completed a brand new, not restored, 17 foot African mahogany
barrelback runabout. The really cool thing about this boat is that is has
twin 85 peak HP ELECTRIC MOTORS, Yes I said electric.

So far we have had her up over 30 MPH!.

I had to start from scratch as we could find no plans available anywhere. I
found some hull design software and we took some offsets from a 1/8 scale
model and modified the hull from there to accommodate the twin screws and
additional weight of the batteries.

We are carrying a 15000 watt battery pack of 100 amp hour deep cycle AGM
batteries which will give us all day cruising at hull speed with some
reserve to show off when desired.

Check out our web site www.edison-marine.com

There are some streaming videos on the site.

Tom in Oregon

Jerry November 28th 07 01:37 AM

17 foot mahogany barrelback runabout just finished

We are carrying a 15000 watt battery pack of 100 amp hour deep cycle
AGM batteries which will give us all day cruising at hull speed with
some reserve to show off when desired.

Tom in Oregon

Whats the 'on plane' run time?

Delburt D November 28th 07 01:52 AM

"Jerry" wrote in message
We are carrying a 15000 watt battery pack of 100 amp hour deep cycle
AGM batteries which will give us all day cruising at hull speed with
some reserve to show off when desired.

Tom in Oregon

Whats the 'on plane' run time?

On a four hour outing we had her up on plane for about a half an hour
besides just crusin'.

We are still fine tuning the batteries/controllers and props for best
performance.

Delburt D November 28th 07 01:56 AM

"Island Teak" wrote in message
Sounds great....but, just share the 'african mahogany' part with your best
friends.

...Ken

Actually I checked this out before we started to build the boat. African
Mahogany is not endangered or in short supply since it is actually several
different species all classified as African Mahogany. I have been in the
wood working business for over Twenty five years and researched this
extensively.

Besides I know of no other specie that would work for this boat. We needed
both light weight and flexibility to make the shape come to pass.

If you know of specific issues with African Mahogany I would like to know
about them.

Thanks for the input

Tom

Island Teak November 28th 07 02:15 AM

17 foot mahogany barrelback runabout just finished

Hello Delburt,

Please do not let my post belittle what you have accomplished.

I am simply obsessive when it comes to nomenclature ,in regards to wood. It
is best , in my opinion, to know the wood by it's real name.

very best regards...Ken

Delburt D November 28th 07 03:54 PM

17 foot mahogany barrelback runabout just finished

No harm done Ken, I am always open to new information. The Usenet has been
a great source of information and also a way for me to help others as well.

This project is the coolest thing I have ever built, and I have worked in
many multimillion dollar homes as well as some large yachts.

The greatest challenge to me was honing my skills in both design and
construction of this boat. We conceived the Idea a little less than a year
ago, made the first sawdust on Feb 23rd and splashed her on Aug 23rd same
year!

"May the barnacle gods be kind to your bottom"

Tom

[email protected] November 29th 07 01:47 AM

17 foot mahogany barrelback runabout just finished

Tom:

Beautiful boat - cool website. Your design in very reminiscent of Ken
Hankinson's Barrelback 19, see: http://glen-l.com/designs/hankinson/barrelback19.html

You indicate that the boat will cruise 'all day' at "hull speed."

This term is generally used for displacement boats. That is, hull
speed is generally not applied to boats whose speed is not limited by
wave drag.

Be that as it may, do you mean that your vessel can cruise all day at
5.52 knots (sq root 17 X 1.34)?

Are Runabouts generally used by folks who'll be content with a few
quick bursts of speed? I mean, haven't classic mahogony runabouts had
small block V 8 engines for the 'go-fast' - as in "go-fast-all-day"
crowd?

Not trying to be a naysayer, just curious as to your motivation.

Mike Worrall
Los Angeles

[email protected][_2_] November 29th 07 06:14 AM

SPAM 17 foot mahogany barrelback runabout just finished - SPAM

Spam. Sam for a nice looking boat, but still spam.
Plus, for 100,000 to 160,000 USD I can get the
real thing, not some lame 21st century imitation.

jim.isbell November 29th 07 04:39 PM

On Nov 27, 11:03 am, "Delburt D" wrote:
Hi all,

We just completed a brand new, not restored, 17 foot African mahogany
barrelback runabout. The really cool thing about this boat is that is has
twin 85 peak HP ELECTRIC MOTORS, Yes I said electric.

A year ago after I finished my strip planked 13' canoe using teak,
mahogany and red cedar I hatched the idea of doing a 16' barrel back
and using a 40 hp (36 volt) electric motor using the same hull
building skills. I have the plans drawn but its on hold. I still
plan on it, but my wife is trying to talk me out of it. It shouldn't
be but about 3 times the work as the canoe and strip planking is not
really work anyway. But the Cedar would be my choice because it is as
beautiful as the mahogany AND its lighter. No, I am NOT saying yours
is not Beautiful, it IS, Its awesomely beautiful. But I will go for
the lighter weight so I can carry more batteries.