posted to rec.boats.building

Default 25watt nav lights?

hi all,
how many of you are going for the brighter 25 watt nav lights vs. the
standard 10 watt items? Most of the smaller vessels ive seen go with the
10watt globes, but i think i'd like to put the more powerful items on my
thinderbird 26. They do eat up a bit more power, especially if you've got
them all round, but the extra bit of safety seems worthwhile.

Shaun

posted to rec.boats.building

25 Watt Nav Lights?
I don't think so - At least never in my case.

That will require 6 amps just for running lights, now let's add teh
windex light, the essential instruments, the VHF on standby and I will
have to hand start the engine before dawn.

That would mean that if I had the battery fully charged at dusk, I can
not let the autohelm steer even under power as the alternator is rated
at 10amp. Running the stereo is out of the question.

I'm much more interested in going to LED that will drop the required
current for all three running lights below 1 amp.

Matt Colie
Lifelong Waterman, Licensed Mariner and Perpetual Sailor

Shaun Van Poecke wrote:
hi all,
how many of you are going for the brighter 25 watt nav lights vs. the
standard 10 watt items? Most of the smaller vessels ive seen go with the
10watt globes, but i think i'd like to put the more powerful items on my
thinderbird 26. They do eat up a bit more power, especially if you've got
them all round, but the extra bit of safety seems worthwhile.

Shaun

posted to rec.boats.building

NE,
The simple answer is - Yes.

I have been a sailor and a waterman all my life thus far..
Not only do I not plan to quit, but I wouldn't know how if I had to.

Where I spent most of my young life on the upper east coast, the phrase
"He has stopped sailing." is often used to indicate the subject's demise.

We had a memorial service for my father thirty years ago and he has been
sailing ever since.

Yes, I am a Perpetual, Pathological and Congenital Sailor

Matt Colie

Shaun Van Poecke wrote:

hi all,
how many of you are going for the brighter 25 watt nav lights vs. the
standard 10 watt items? Most of the smaller vessels ive seen go with the
10watt globes, but i think i'd like to put the more powerful items on my
thinderbird 26. They do eat up a bit more power, especially if you've
got them all round, but the extra bit of safety seems worthwhile.

Shaun

posted to rec.boats.building

I do. Aqua Signal series 41 I think. That's what my boat came with ('86
Krogen 42) but the lenses were degraded over the years by UV, so I
replaced them all. You can see them VERY well.

Tricolour masthead lights pete Boat Building 17 December 3rd 06 06:16 AM
Colregs - flashing lights News f2s Cruising 6 August 8th 06 09:51 PM
Running Lights Quiz# 113 Joe ASA 13 February 1st 06 05:26 PM
height and placement of red and green side lights Scott Downey Boat Building 0 May 26th 04 04:33 AM
Red over green mast lights for sailboat Lee Huddleston Cruising 16 September 10th 03 02:42 AM