posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Default Running Lights Quiz# 113

There is nothing finer than sailing at night in the right conditions.

Here are a few running lights I've seen in the past.

(1). While entering Galveston bay from the Gulf of Mexico late one
night I thought I was seeing things! After the jetties and close to
Point Bolivar I saw a strange arrangement of running lights. The boat
was coming straight towards us and I could see the standard running
lights. The strange thing was the Blue over White lights on the mast.
What did I meet head on? And what side should I pass on.

(2). In the Straits of Gibralter I meet another boat at night. This
time I could also tell it was coming strait at us. You could see the
standard runnings lights, but on the mast and forearms there was a
triangle of green lights over a white light. What did I meet head-on
and what side can I pass by close-by?

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
There is nothing finer than sailing at night in the right conditions.

Here are a few running lights I've seen in the past.

(1). While entering Galveston bay from the Gulf of Mexico late one
night I thought I was seeing things! After the jetties and close to
Point Bolivar I saw a strange arrangement of running lights. The boat
was coming straight towards us and I could see the standard running
lights. The strange thing was the Blue over White lights on the mast.
What did I meet head on? And what side should I pass on.

A law enforcement vessel. You should stop.

(2). In the Straits of Gibralter I meet another boat at night. This
time I could also tell it was coming strait at us. You could see the
standard runnings lights, but on the mast and forearms there was a
triangle of green lights over a white light. What did I meet head-on
and what side can I pass by close-by?

Mine clearing. Get way out of the way.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Lady Pilot

"Joe" wrote:
There is nothing finer than sailing at night in the right conditions.

Here are a few running lights I've seen in the past.

(1). While entering Galveston bay from the Gulf of Mexico late one
night I thought I was seeing things! After the jetties and close to
Point Bolivar I saw a strange arrangement of running lights. The boat
was coming straight towards us and I could see the standard running
lights. The strange thing was the Blue over White lights on the mast.
What did I meet head on? And what side should I pass on.

It was me, bearing down upon the seas in my Aerostar.

You should have jumped overboard while waving your white flag!

(2). In the Straits of Gibralter I meet another boat at night. This
time I could also tell it was coming strait at us. You could see the
standard runnings lights, but on the mast and forearms there was a
triangle of green lights over a white light. What did I meet head-on
and what side can I pass by close-by?

You meet an alien from Nevada. Resistance is futile, you know! hahaaa

LP (bored to death)

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
There is nothing finer than sailing at night in the right conditions.

Here are a few running lights I've seen in the past.

(1). While entering Galveston bay from the Gulf of Mexico late one
night I thought I was seeing things! After the jetties and close to
Point Bolivar I saw a strange arrangement of running lights. The boat
was coming straight towards us and I could see the standard running
lights. The strange thing was the Blue over White lights on the mast.
What did I meet head on? And what side should I pass on.

You're busted! It's a cop. Pull over.

(2). In the Straits of Gibralter I meet another boat at night. This
time I could also tell it was coming strait at us. You could see the
standard runnings lights, but on the mast and forearms there was a
triangle of green lights over a white light. What did I meet head-on
and what side can I pass by close-by?

Kaboom! Even your fine steel vessel won't survive. I didn't realize they
were actively clearing mines in the Med. Or, maybe they were just clearing
mimes, which would be a good thing.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Sorry it's not the Fuzz.....

Your correct on the mine sweeper

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Your half right just like Crantz.

Police have flashing blue lights....has nothing to do with Law
enforcement it's an international rule.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

"Joe" wrote
Here are a few running lights I've seen in the past.

(1). While entering Galveston bay from the Gulf of Mexico late one
night I thought I was seeing things! After the jetties and close to
Point Bolivar I saw a strange arrangement of running lights. The boat
was coming straight towards us and I could see the standard running
lights. The strange thing was the Blue over White lights on the mast.
What did I meet head on? And what side should I pass on.

Good question Joe. Is this an area of naval operations?

Naval vessels in convoy duty may display, during such activity, a
blue light located near the stern, with the same characteristics as,
but in lieu of the normal white stern light. However, this doesn't
match your description of a vessel approaching you.

Naval vessels may display, as a means of outlining the contour of the
delivery ship during night time underway replenishment operations, red
or blue lights at deck edge extremities. These lights are all being
switched
blue. But what is the point of doing replenishment operation close to
shore unless it is too large to dock? Again your description indicates
a light on a mast not contour lights.

My next thought was that this was a trick question and in fact the light
was on land in line with the vessel. In any case, I did a search on the
"Light List" for Galveston Bay and Blue Light and found nothing.

In another post you mention it is an International rule, while
clearly you are located in inland waters. That reinforces the fact
that it is. It is all very confusing as I know of no rule for a solid blue
light, only a flashing blue for law enforcement.

I'll take a wild guess and say it is a widebodied vessel and the purpose
of the blue light is to draw attention to a special situation like this.

(2). In the Straits of Gibralter I meet another boat at night. This
time I could also tell it was coming strait at us. You could see the
standard runnings lights, but on the mast and forearms there was a
triangle of green lights over a white light. What did I meet head-on
and what side can I pass by close-by?

Pretty easy one--Minesweeper engaged in minesweeping operations.
If this is an excercise, and there are no mines, there are still things in
the water you don't want to hit--vanes and cable. Which side to pass
cannot be determined from this information. Close by would not be a
good idea. In most passing situations, I'd "give you one blast, passing
port-to-port, but the smart thing to do is give a call on the radio and
ask for advice, or else turn around.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

like the others you knew the mine sweeper, general rule is to give them
1 mi clearence, and it is best to talk to the sweeper and see if you
need to pucker up.

Like all the others your guessing on the blue over white.

Blue over white is displayed on the Boliver - Galveston car ferries &
most ferries. As normal pass on 1 whistle unless other arangements are
agreeded upon.

Joe

Navigation quiz #2 Joe ASA 4 December 14th 05 01:46 PM
Navigation quiz #2 Gary ASA 0 December 13th 05 02:53 PM
Navigation quiz #2 Scotty ASA 0 December 13th 05 11:55 AM
Parade of Lights Preparation Bryan General 8 December 12th 05 05:36 AM
Running Aground Capri Cruising 25 November 16th 05 01:35 AM