posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

Default Running Lights Quiz# 113

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
There is nothing finer than sailing at night in the right conditions.

Here are a few running lights I've seen in the past.

(1). While entering Galveston bay from the Gulf of Mexico late one
night I thought I was seeing things! After the jetties and close to
Point Bolivar I saw a strange arrangement of running lights. The boat
was coming straight towards us and I could see the standard running
lights. The strange thing was the Blue over White lights on the mast.
What did I meet head on? And what side should I pass on.

You're busted! It's a cop. Pull over.

(2). In the Straits of Gibralter I meet another boat at night. This
time I could also tell it was coming strait at us. You could see the
standard runnings lights, but on the mast and forearms there was a
triangle of green lights over a white light. What did I meet head-on
and what side can I pass by close-by?

Kaboom! Even your fine steel vessel won't survive. I didn't realize they
were actively clearing mines in the Med. Or, maybe they were just clearing
mimes, which would be a good thing.