posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

Default Colregs - flashing lights

Whilst traveling on the ferry from Cowes to Southampton after the
firwork display, I noted the frequent use of flashing lights on
vessels under way. Two categories stood out:

a. Fast ferries (not aircushion vehicles) used a rotating yellow
strobe above their masthead lights.

b. Several RIBS, mostly around 6m - 10m length, displayed rotating
blue strobe lights below their masthead lights.

So far, I was only aware that flashing lights were permitted for
air cushion vehicles (quite sensible, because they don't
necessarily travel in the direction they're pointing - so other
navigators need to be aware of this when interpreting their
navigation lights), and for purse seine fishing vessels working in
close proximity. Otherwise, colregs seem to forbid the use of
flashing lights.

Does anyone know when or by what instrument the colregs were
amended for the Solent?
--
JimB
http://www.jimbaerselman.f2s.com/

"News f2s" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know by what instrument (if any) the colregs were amended for the
Solent, but the fast ferries have had yellow flashing lights for many years,
and the police have used blue flashing lights for many years too.

"Duncan Heenan" wrote in message

"News f2s" wrote in message
[...]

Two of the RIBs were definitely not police vessels. One seemed to
be running a taxi service around craft at anchor, the other had a
charter company website URL (sorry, forgot it! Age . . .).

Of course, fast ferries in the Solent (up until whenever) were air
cushion vehicles. I can't see why the new non-aircushion vehicles
should have a yellow strobe though. Broadly, because of their
speed, they have to plan routes to avoid all other craft - making
them chronically 'give way' vessels almost irrespective of aspect.
Slow craft therefore hardly need to notice these vehicles. If one
of them is coming at you. there's b' all you can do about it!

"News f2s" wrote in message
[...]

WIGs have flashing red lights - ref Colregs Rule 23 (c) (November 2003
amendments)
Chain ferries have flashing white lights - at least those at Cowes and Poole
do.
John Weale

News f2s wrote:
Whilst traveling on the ferry from Cowes to Southampton after the
firwork display, I noted the frequent use of flashing lights on
vessels under way. Two categories stood out:

a. Fast ferries (not aircushion vehicles) used a rotating yellow
strobe above their masthead lights.

b. Several RIBS, mostly around 6m - 10m length, displayed rotating
blue strobe lights below their masthead lights.

So far, I was only aware that flashing lights were permitted for
air cushion vehicles (quite sensible, because they don't
necessarily travel in the direction they're pointing - so other
navigators need to be aware of this when interpreting their
navigation lights), and for purse seine fishing vessels working in
close proximity. Otherwise, colregs seem to forbid the use of
flashing lights.

And submarines going astern....

posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

"PyroJames" wrote in message
oups.com...

News f2s wrote:
[...]

Really? Got a reference for that?

Ahhh. Pulling my leg . . .
--
JimB
http://www.jimbaerselman.f2s.com/
Describing some Greek and Spanish cruising areas

posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

News f2s wrote:
"PyroJames" wrote in message
oups.com...

News f2s wrote:
[...]

Only from my own observations.

Ahhh. Pulling my leg . . .
--

No! That's everybody else!

Very cheap and low power anchor lights Dave Erickson Cruising 13 May 29th 13 02:38 PM
Running Lights Quiz# 113 Joe ASA 13 February 1st 06 04:26 PM
height and placement of red and green side lights Scott Downey Boat Building 0 May 26th 04 04:33 AM
Red over green mast light for sailboat Lee Huddleston Boat Building 4 September 15th 03 04:57 PM
Red over green mast lights for sailboat Lee Huddleston Cruising 16 September 10th 03 02:42 AM