posted to rec.boats.building,uk.rec.waterways,uk.rec.waterways.fens

Default PythonDrive CV Coupling?

I posted this to a number of groups as I'm sure it's of interest to all.

I'm looking to purchase a CV coupling to go between the engine and the prop
shaft.

The two contenders seem to be either an Aquadrive or a PythonDrive. The
PythonDrive is cheaper. Has anyone any experience with the PythonDrive.

Will it handle movement from a soft mounted engine in up/ down, side/ side
and fore/ aft directions.

My engine is currently coupled to the prop shaft with a R&D flexible shaft
coupling, this is basically a plastic plate that can flex slightly. Although
the setup works, it's a bit primitive. At certain throttle settings the
engine bounces about a bit and vibrations can be felt.

Any info will be appreciated.

Adrian Smith

Adrian Smith wrote:
I posted this to a number of groups as I'm sure it's of interest to all.

I'm looking to purchase a CV coupling to go between the engine and

the prop
shaft.

The two contenders seem to be either an Aquadrive or a PythonDrive.

snip

Been there, done that.

The AquaDrive works.

Lew
posted to rec.boats.building,uk.rec.waterways,uk.rec.waterways.fens

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
ink.net...
Adrian Smith wrote:
I posted this to a number of groups as I'm sure it's of interest to all.

I'm looking to purchase a CV coupling to go between the engine and

the prop
shaft.

The two contenders seem to be either an Aquadrive or a PythonDrive.

snip

Been there, done that.

The AquaDrive works.

Lew

Why did you choose the Aquadrive over the cheaper PythonDrive?

Did you notice a big before/ after difference in both noise and vibration?

Adrian Smith

Adrian Smith wrote:
I posted this to a number of groups as I'm sure it's of interest to all.

I'm looking to purchase a CV coupling to go between the engine and the prop
shaft.

The two contenders seem to be either an Aquadrive or a PythonDrive. The
PythonDrive is cheaper. Has anyone any experience with the PythonDrive.

Will it handle movement from a soft mounted engine in up/ down, side/ side
and fore/ aft directions.

My engine is currently coupled to the prop shaft with a R&D flexible shaft
coupling, this is basically a plastic plate that can flex slightly. Although
the setup works, it's a bit primitive. At certain throttle settings the
engine bounces about a bit and vibrations can be felt.

Any info will be appreciated.

Adrian Smith

An alternative (cheaper) is the Centaflex coupling. I have had one of
these for 15 years now and it has proven very effective in reducing
both vibration and shaft wear. it allows much more misalignment
(especially laterally) than the R&D disc. It is also much easier to fit
than an Aquadrive. I could not fit an Aquadrive in my boat as there was
insufficient space between gearbox and stern tube. The Centaflex
coupling simply replaces the R&D with no modifications to shaft or
hull. See http://www.centa.info/download/centaflex-m/de-en.pdf or try
Google for a supplier. I think the starting price is around £100,
depending on shaft size/engine HP.

Good luck.

Martyn Wills

Adrian Smith wrote:

Why did you choose the Aquadrive over the cheaper PythonDrive?

Did you notice a big before/ after difference in both noise and

vibration?

At the time AquaDrive was the only product available.

There was a MAJOR reduction in both sound and vibration levels, at least
20dB each, and quit snapping mounting bolts like they were pretzels.

Unless Python is at least 40% lower in cost, my choice is AquaDrive.

Even then, doubt I'd by it.

Lew

posted to rec.boats.building,uk.rec.waterways,uk.rec.waterways.fens

Default PythonDrive CV Coupling?-Update

Adrian Smith wrote:

Why did you choose the Aquadrive over the cheaper PythonDrive?

Did you notice a big before/ after difference in both noise and

vibration?

Just noticed that you are probably in UK which may impact pricing.

Here in US, a complete AquaDrive package, including engine mounts and
adapters is probably less than $1,500 USD for most sail boat engines.

Lew

posted to rec.boats.building,uk.rec.waterways,uk.rec.waterways.fens

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
link.net...
Adrian Smith wrote:

Why did you choose the Aquadrive over the cheaper PythonDrive?

Did you notice a big before/ after difference in both noise and

vibration?

At the time AquaDrive was the only product available.

There was a MAJOR reduction in both sound and vibration levels, at least
20dB each, and quit snapping mounting bolts like they were pretzels.

Unless Python is at least 40% lower in cost, my choice is AquaDrive.

Even then, doubt I'd by it.

Lew

Is that because you have heard bad things about the PythonDrive? or that the
AquaDrive is somehow superior?

Adrian Smith

posted to rec.boats.building,uk.rec.waterways,uk.rec.waterways.fens
CS CS is offline

I fitted a Centaflex AGM coupling - 2 rubber couplings and a 2.4mtr 5
inch diameter hollow shaft in between and it was considerably cheaper
than Aquadrive - but not sure about Python drive. Are not Aqua and
Python the same thing but Python is the US version??

Adrian Smith wrote:

Why did you choose the Aquadrive over the cheaper PythonDrive?

Did you notice a big before/ after difference in both noise and

vibration?

Just noticed that you are probably in UK which may impact pricing.

Here in US, a complete AquaDrive package, including engine mounts and
adapters is probably less than $1,500 USD for most sail boat engines.

Lew

Don't suppose you can remember what model/size AquaDrive you have?

PythonDrive for my engine (2.25litre 48BHP@2800) is approx 600USD (converted
from GBP) Probably get one cheaper over there. For complete unit/ adapters
but not engine mounts.

From what I can see in the specs there is not much difference between an
AquaDrive and a PythonDrive.

Adrian Smith

Adrian Smith wrote:

Is that because you have heard bad things about the PythonDrive? or

that the
AquaDrive is somehow superior?

I know the AquaDrive works.

I have no interest in trying to reinvent the wheel, especially for a one
time purchase.

Lew

SKF OK 90 coupling alie Cruising 1 May 12th 07 06:16 AM
Drive Saver/Spacer users sought Skip Gundlach Cruising 20 April 3rd 06 06:11 PM
engine alignment Peter Hendra Cruising 9 May 16th 05 06:00 AM
Coupling for split Rudder Post jimthom Boat Building 12 April 19th 04 09:46 AM
"get home" electric motor coupling to prop shaft? BOEING377 Electronics 10 November 16th 03 11:15 PM