posted to rec.boats.building,uk.rec.waterways,uk.rec.waterways.fens
Martyn Martyn is offline

Default PythonDrive CV Coupling?

Adrian Smith wrote:
I posted this to a number of groups as I'm sure it's of interest to all.

I'm looking to purchase a CV coupling to go between the engine and the prop
shaft.

The two contenders seem to be either an Aquadrive or a PythonDrive. The
PythonDrive is cheaper. Has anyone any experience with the PythonDrive.

Will it handle movement from a soft mounted engine in up/ down, side/ side
and fore/ aft directions.

My engine is currently coupled to the prop shaft with a R&D flexible shaft
coupling, this is basically a plastic plate that can flex slightly. Although
the setup works, it's a bit primitive. At certain throttle settings the
engine bounces about a bit and vibrations can be felt.

Any info will be appreciated.

Adrian Smith

An alternative (cheaper) is the Centaflex coupling. I have had one of
these for 15 years now and it has proven very effective in reducing
both vibration and shaft wear. it allows much more misalignment
(especially laterally) than the R&D disc. It is also much easier to fit
than an Aquadrive. I could not fit an Aquadrive in my boat as there was
insufficient space between gearbox and stern tube. The Centaflex
coupling simply replaces the R&D with no modifications to shaft or
hull. See http://www.centa.info/download/centaflex-m/de-en.pdf or try
Google for a supplier. I think the starting price is around £100,
depending on shaft size/engine HP.

Good luck.

Martyn Wills