Wally

Default New instrument panel material

I'm replacing the cockpit instruments (wind dir, speed, knot etc) in
my sailboat and of course the holes are different.
The original ones were cut right thru the cockpit combing
gelcoat/glass - so have some big holes I can't use.
The solution seems to be an overlay face panel - but what material -

- not teak - too hard to keep up,
- lexan/acrylic - starts to look bad after some years,
- electropolished stainless - but what finish - don't want a mirror
- aluminium anodized - maybe - hard to find good anod in So Cal?

Any other suggestions. It needs to be about 30" x 7"

Glenn Ashmore

1/4" Starboard?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Reynaud

"Wally" wrote in message
I'm replacing the cockpit instruments (wind dir, speed, knot etc) in
my sailboat and of course the holes are different.
The original ones were cut right thru the cockpit combing
gelcoat/glass - so have some big holes I can't use.
The solution seems to be an overlay face panel - but what material -

- not teak - too hard to keep up,
- lexan/acrylic - starts to look bad after some years,
- electropolished stainless - but what finish - don't want a mirror
- aluminium anodized - maybe - hard to find good anod in So Cal?

Any other suggestions. It needs to be about 30" x 7"

Hi you can use carbon fibre weave or cloth covered with clear coat epoxy.

Rey

Karin Conover-Lewis

I would probably go that direction too, but I'd ask a plastics supplier for
1/4 to 1/2" (probably 1/2") for extruded HDPE, exterior grade. Same as
StarBoard/MarineTuff, but cheaper. Great stuff this extruded HDPE. Works
like butter, wears like iron but doesn't rust. ;-)

--
Karin Conover-Lewis
Fair and Balanced since 1959

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
1/4" Starboard?

Wally wrote:

I'm replacing the cockpit instruments (wind dir, speed, knot etc) in
my sailboat and of course the holes are different.
The original ones were cut right thru the cockpit combing
gelcoat/glass - so have some big holes I can't use.
The solution seems to be an overlay face panel - but what material -

- not teak - too hard to keep up,
- lexan/acrylic - starts to look bad after some years,
- electropolished stainless - but what finish - don't want a mirror
- aluminium anodized - maybe - hard to find good anod in So Cal?

Any other suggestions. It needs to be about 30" x 7"

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

terry

i second glenn's suggestion. Go for the starboard. I purchase 1/2 4x8
sheets for around $100. Good to work plus you get the UV protection, which
is what you need. Be sure to oversize any through fittings to avoid
cracking/stressing the stuff.

terry

Rusty O

You could have a new panel built to your design by Front Panel Express. Go
to their web site and download the free design software. You can specify
instrument holes, mounting holes, corner radius, engraving, material,
thickness, color, etc. The program will then price it for you, let you place
the order with their Seattle plant, and even tell you the shipping date.
Works great. http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/

Rusty O

Glenn Ashmore

I use Front Panes Express for most all my custom panels (water maker,
fuel managenent, remote light control, etc) but not those exposed to the
elements. Their panels are anodized 6061 which will not stand up well
to salt water as well as 5000 series alloys.

Rusty O wrote:
You could have a new panel built to your design by Front Panel Express. Go
to their web site and download the free design software. You can specify
instrument holes, mounting holes, corner radius, engraving, material,
thickness, color, etc. The program will then price it for you, let you place
the order with their Seattle plant, and even tell you the shipping date.
Works great. http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/

Rusty O

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

TORMAC53

How about powdercoated aluminum? Most sign companies now have CNC routers and
can even put lines, words and graphics on it after the powdercoating.
Stephen Baker

Since I'm in curmudgeon mode tinght, and it's too frikkin' humid to do much
else (or is that WHY I'm in curmudgeon mode?) I'll speak for the thousands of
rational people out there and ask the un-PC question:

Why not build it out of a nice wood, treat it properly with some
amber-transparent processed tree sap, and spend a couple of hours each year
keeping it looking that way, instead of spending days finding the "right"
plastic goop for it, and having it look like crup in a couple of years?

Steve "curmudgeon mode off...."
Lew Hodgett

"Stephen Baker" writes:
Since I'm in curmudgeon mode tinght, and it's too frikkin' humid to do

much
else (or is that WHY I'm in curmudgeon mode?)

Sounds like a personal problem to me.

I'll speak for the thousands of
rational people out there and ask the un-PC question:

Why not build it out of a nice wood, treat it properly with some
amber-transparent processed tree sap, and spend a couple of hours each

year
keeping it looking that way, instead of spending days finding the "right"
plastic goop for it, and having it look like crup in a couple of years?

One thing about wood, from compost it comes and to compost it shall return,
applies.

Wood makes great furniture, but on a boat...........

There is a material known as Lamicoid, used by graphic panel manufacturers
supplying the electrical industry.

Does a great job and is very cost effective.

Personally, I like black and white laminated together.

Engrave the white side, exposing the black in the grooves of the letters.

Simple to maintain since the dirt finds it's way into the grooves, which are
black anyway.

BTW, Steve, as a curmudgeon, you are a babe in the woodsG.

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures