Dan

Default Acrylic Sheet Material

I am looking for the correct material to make smoked portlights for
the boat. What is the correct material and I'm looking for a source
for it?
Is it just Acrylic material about (Plexi Glass) 1/4 or 3/8" thick or
is it Lexan?
santacruz

Either is "correct". Both are used for hatches. Acrylic is "better" in
some ways - it doesn't damage in sunlight/UV as lexan or trade generic
name = polycarbonate does - lexan yellows and can cloud but for dark
smoked maybe doesn't matter, it scratches less easily than lexan,
however acrylic snaps and breaks while lexan bends and bends more -
doesn't snap.

see http://www.sdplastics.com/acrylic.html and
http://www.sdplastics.com/polycarb.html

Watch out for sealants, solvents, even Windex - all can damage these
materials.