Leo Petipas

Default liferaft tent material?

I test my DBC liferaft every year. It inflates quite nicely each time, every
time. The fluorescent orange "tent" covering material has developed a black
mold in numerous places. The mold is right in the rubbery fabric and will
not scrub out. Does anyone know what this tent material is and where I could
buy some for fabricating a new one?

steveb

"Leo Petipas" lifted the trapdoor, peered around and
wrote:

I test my DBC liferaft every year. It inflates quite nicely each time, every
time. The fluorescent orange "tent" covering material has developed a black
mold in numerous places. The mold is right in the rubbery fabric and will
not scrub out. Does anyone know what this tent material is and where I could
buy some for fabricating a new one?

As I understand it, there is a reason why testing and servicing liferafts
is best handled by Service Centres. Not least of which may be your
insurance policy, so check.

The black mould is mildew. It can't really be removed, and, although it
look unsightly, it isn't *too* destructive. It is a mould which grows
"anaerobically (without oxygen) and is usually caused by sealing up damp
material. Another good reason to have a liferaft prof. serviced, the seals
are difficult to achieve.

If you can ensure the fabric will be perfectly dry when packed, then ensure
a good "hermetic" seal, this problem will not reccur.

steveb
B1ruff2collie

U COULD TRY BEAUFORTS,CORPORATION ROAD,BIRKENHEAD,MERSEYSIDE.