Gary Warner

Default Material for Bunkers

I know it's be asked before but what the hay - at least it's not political:

We're coming up to the stage where we have to make the bukners for
our trailer. Boat is 22' wood hull. We'll be using 2x6s or something
for the bunks. What is the best material to cover them with? Would
indoor-outdoor carpet work OK?

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 04:04:49 -0500, "Gary Warner"
wrote:

I know it's be asked before but what the hay - at least it's not political:

We're coming up to the stage where we have to make the bukners for
our trailer. Boat is 22' wood hull. We'll be using 2x6s or something
for the bunks. What is the best material to cover them with? Would
indoor-outdoor carpet work OK?

Ah, having done this, I can answer.

Regular indoor/outdoor is great - just stay away from the grass type
stuff unless is has a very short and flexible nap. I found a woven
indoor/outdoor carpet at Home Depot that worked great. It flexible
and easy to install with some contact glue and electrical staples.

Good luck.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------
"My rod and my reel - they comfort me."

St. Pete, 12 Lb. Test
Ron White

You may want to use something heavier than 2x6? maybe doubled 2x6 each side
or better, doubled 2x8 or 2x10's.

--
Ron White
Boat building web address is

Calif Bill

I am going to that next time I need to recarpet. Boats do slide easy on the
stuff. You can get it reasonably from a plastics supply shop. Just ask for
the HMWB material and they will cut it to width. I am going with 1/2" .
Bill

"Don White" wrote in message
What do you think of the 'poly' bunk material rather than carpet?
see *** http://www.venturetrailers.com/ ***

Gary Warner wrote in message

I know it's be asked before but what the hay - at least it's not

political:

We're coming up to the stage where we have to make the bukners for
our trailer. Boat is 22' wood hull. We'll be using 2x6s or something
for the bunks. What is the best material to cover them with? Would
indoor-outdoor carpet work OK?

Chuck Tribolet

Use pressure-treated, probably 2x6. If the trailer will ever go in salt water
use monel staples on the carpets (I would even on a fresh water trailer).

--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.

"Gary Warner" wrote in message ...

Ah, ok, it's "bunks" not bunkers or bukners....

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

I know it's be asked before but what the hay - at least it's not

political:

We're coming up to the stage where we have to make the bukners for
our trailer. Boat is 22' wood hull. We'll be using 2x6s or something
for the bunks. What is the best material to cover them with? Would
indoor-outdoor carpet work OK?

Tom

wrote:

I know it's be asked before but what the hay - at least it's not political:

We're coming up to the stage where we have to make the bukners for
our trailer. Boat is 22' wood hull. We'll be using 2x6s or something
for the bunks. What is the best material to cover them with? Would
indoor-outdoor carpet work OK?

Indoor-outdoor carpet works OK for bunks but the best thing you can
use is UHMW-PE. Try to find "drops" at your local plastics distributor
and look for black "repro" which is cheaper and resists UV better.
Carpet tends to hold water which contributes to rot and UHMW is
slicker. Good luck.

Tom

HMW-B?

I get the High Molecular Weight, but "B"?? Sure that isn't HMWP?

Best is UHMW - Ultra High Molecular Weight. Slicker and more durable
than other Polyethylene compounds.

Capt. Frank Hopkins

Hi Gary,

Just a thought, But 2x6 may put a lot of strain on the contact points.

My Uncle Frank used to build boat trailers (and boats) for "The John
Boram Boat Company." The trailers had short bunks at the rear and the
boat's weight was supported by centerline keel rollers. "The rubber
rollers," said he, "give a little shock absorption, and do not transfer
road vibration to the hull."

His trailers and Boram boats were much like yours shown in the pictures
at http://thebayguide.com/rec.boats/

So do you have any current pix of "Delilah"

Capt. Frank

Gary Warner wrote:
I know it's be asked before but what the hay - at least it's not political:

We're coming up to the stage where we have to make the bukners for
our trailer. Boat is 22' wood hull. We'll be using 2x6s or something
for the bunks. What is the best material to cover them with? Would
indoor-outdoor carpet work OK?

Waterproof Material or Rubber under a hinge?? Gary Warner General 12 January 11th 05 05:40 AM
OT--Dem sleaze tactics not working as planned. NOYB General 103 January 10th 04 12:36 AM
which hull material aussie General 2 November 15th 03 03:48 AM
Mounting pad for a large outboard motor - what material should it be made from? Torre General 1 November 10th 03 04:54 AM
floor replacement material rudyeb General 2 July 28th 03 09:01 PM