rudyeb

Default floor replacement material

I am replacing the floor on my sons Regal and was wondering waht the
recommended material is. I was going to use marine plywood but then I read
that it is better to use regular ply and then apply a fiberglass resin
finish on all sides to seal it. i would appreciate hearing from others on
this subject.
thanks,
rudy

Rick

rudyeb wrote:
I am replacing the floor on my sons Regal and was wondering waht the
recommended material is. I was going to use marine plywood but then I read
that it is better to use regular ply and then apply a fiberglass resin
finish on all sides to seal it. i would appreciate hearing from others on
this subject.
thanks,
rudy

That works very well as long as you do all sides.

Rick

rudyeb wrote:
: I am replacing the floor on my sons Regal and was wondering waht the
: recommended material is. I was going to use marine plywood but then I read
: that it is better to use regular ply and then apply a fiberglass resin
: finish on all sides to seal it. i would appreciate hearing from others on
: this subject.
: thanks,
: rudy

Had my boat rebuilt by a really good craftsman specializing in boat
reconstruction. He used a good grade exterior plywood and glassed/epoxied
both sides of it then glassed it in the hull. He also made a paste of
epoxy/epoxy thickener and used it to install "sacrificial bunks" on
the floor. That way he didn't compromise the watertight seal of the floor
material. The bolts for the seats went laterally through the glassed
in bunks. Should they ever "go", they could be replaced and the floor
would remain intact.

The key is to keep moisture from entering any part of the floorboard.
The way he did it was to drill *zero* holes in the floorboard.

b.