jcassara

Default Faring Polyester Cloth

I am in the process of repairing a rotted deck core. The
area is about 6 sq ft and is built up with polyester cloth.
Is there an additive to thicken polyester resin to use as a
fairing compound? Can automotive Bondo be used? Will fairing
compounds as found at West Marine or Bondo stand up to
typical deck activity or will they crack?

Any info would be great!

John

RUST

There's some stuff to add to the resin that is basically very tiny glass
balls that looks like dust. Comes in a can on the same store-shelf as all of
the fiberglass resins, etc. I've used it to patch holes and the like. Works
great. I'm sure that someone out there knows the correct name for the stuff.
Thickening compound?

Cheers,
Steve
"jcassara" wrote in message
et...
I am in the process of repairing a rotted deck core. The
area is about 6 sq ft and is built up with polyester cloth.
Is there an additive to thicken polyester resin to use as a
fairing compound? Can automotive Bondo be used? Will fairing
compounds as found at West Marine or Bondo stand up to
typical deck activity or will they crack?

Any info would be great!

John

jcassara

I will look into a tickening agent but I thought microballs
was an epoxy additive.Could the heat generated when
polyester kicks could melt the balls?
John

"ddinc" wrote in message
Dont use bondo. It expands when wet, and your fairing will

become unfair.
Use micro or glass balloons.

"jcassara" wrote in message
et...
I am in the process of repairing a rotted deck core. The
area is about 6 sq ft and is built up with polyester

cloth.
Is there an additive to thicken polyester resin to use

as a
fairing compound? Can automotive Bondo be used? Will

fairing
compounds as found at West Marine or Bondo stand up to
typical deck activity or will they crack?

Any info would be great!

John

Stephen Baker

Could the heat generated when
polyester kicks could melt the balls?

No more than the heat generated when epoxy kicks off. ;-)

Steve
Matt Langenfeld

I think they're just refered to as glass beads. RAKA sells some. Other
places too.

RUST wrote:
There's some stuff to add to the resin that is basically very tiny glass
balls that looks like dust. Comes in a can on the same store-shelf as all of
the fiberglass resins, etc. I've used it to patch holes and the like. Works
great. I'm sure that someone out there knows the correct name for the stuff.
Thickening compound?

Cheers,
Steve
"jcassara" wrote in message
et...

I am in the process of repairing a rotted deck core. The
area is about 6 sq ft and is built up with polyester cloth.
Is there an additive to thicken polyester resin to use as a
fairing compound? Can automotive Bondo be used? Will fairing
compounds as found at West Marine or Bondo stand up to
typical deck activity or will they crack?

Any info would be great!

John

Bonding epoxy to a polyester substrate bruce Boat Building 7 April 24th 04 04:11 PM
Polyester or Epoxy? Allan Boat Building 76 January 28th 04 02:51 AM
Making polyester putty? Jordan Boat Building 10 October 25th 03 11:23 PM
Polyester epoxy carlp Boat Building 8 October 2nd 03 09:07 PM
polyester - epoxy bonding Walt Boat Building 19 July 27th 03 06:37 PM