steveJ

I was unaware we were talking about a centerboard boat.

James Johnson wrote:

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 02:35:54 GMT, steveJ wrote:

James Johnson wrote:

If I replace the iron with a lead keel of identical dimensions I could eliminate
the inside ballast and not have to deal with rusting. The inside ballast was
added by the designer ( I suppose after complaints about tenderness) and is
penciled in on the factory plans.

Yes, but there may be an advantage to being able to alter the ballast
depending on the how the boat is loaded. Might get you off of a mud bank
someday if you can remove some of the ballast.

That is true, but you want inside ballast very well secured so it doesn't come
loose in event of a knockdown or rollover. Additionally the draft with
centerboard up is 2 feet 3 inches, removing the inside ballast would reduce
draft by 2 inches at the most. I don't see that advantage outweighing all of
the disadvantages.

JJ

James Johnson
remove the "dot" from after sail in email address to reply

James Johnson

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 03:03:10 GMT, steveJ wrote:

I was unaware we were talking about a centerboard boat.

The only thing a keel centerboard boat does is let you run aground in shallower
water ;-) but seriously even it the boat was a fin keel the reduction of draft
would be about the same with the same advantages and disadvantages.

JJ