Rosalie B.

Default Noise and generators

"Paul Squire" wrote:

In addition to plugging up all the holes, you
should make sure that the surfaces
surrounding the noise source are soft (not
hard and reflective) and bumpy. For
instance if you have a cement block wall
that is unpainted, it will be better than one
that is painted because the paint fills in all
the holes and reflects the noise back into
the room.

I've heard of fero cement hulls,
but concrete block?????

What sort of mortar do you use?
What shape hull can you build?

;-)

I was just using that as an example.

Sometimes you can use the tiles from a dropped ceiling as sound
insulation on the walls.

grandma Rosalie
Skip Gundlach

Hi, Charles, and group,

"Charles T. Low" wrote in message
news
What electrical loads qre you planning on carrying?

We don't yet know for sure. There's some stuff which needs attention, and
some other stuff we expect to buy. In any case, I'm not happy with the
amount of charging provided by the engine, which we ran for an awful lot of
the time on our shakedown/delivery cruise, and still found ourselves not
fully charged most of the time. Otto (the autopilot) is so hungry we
basically didn't use him, preferring to go with Manny (Manuel Steering) most
of the time, due to the drain. FWIW, the batteries, 4xT105, are pretty new.

Could you get by without a generator?

No doubt - but only at the expense of installing a solar and wind farm,
which, actually, is our preference. As noted in another post, humorously
observed by Larry, but seriously by Bill, we'd readily consider selling it,
as it would enable our conversion. We'll be in the tropics, where sun and
wind are abundant.

L8R

Skip and Lydia

Wayne.B

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 00:55:23 -0400, "Skip Gundlach"
wrote:
I'm not happy with the
amount of charging provided by the engine, which we ran for an awful lot of
the time on our shakedown/delivery cruise, and still found ourselves not
fully charged most of the time.

===================================

Do you have a heavy duty alternator (100+ amps) with a 3 stage
regulator?

If not, that's the answer. The bad news is that you'll need dual
belts to drive it, but well worth the investment.

Wayne.B

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 08:50:10 -0400, "Doug Dotson"
wrote:

You can go up to a 160 amp alternator without having to
resort to a large frame dual belt model.

Doug, can you cite some references on that? I've never heard of
anyone recommending 100+ amps without dual belts. I used to run a 120
amp Balmar on one of my old sailboats with a single belt. Frankly it
left a lot to be desired even at 50 to 60 amps - lots of squealing and
chewed up belts. It would never get even remotely close to 100 amps,
even for short periods. The belt slip was just too much for it.

Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
Wayne.B wrote:

Doug, can you cite some references on that? I've never heard of
anyone recommending 100+ amps without dual belts. I used to run a 120
amp Balmar on one of my old sailboats with a single belt. Frankly it
left a lot to be desired even at 50 to 60 amps - lots of squealing and
chewed up belts. It would never get even remotely close to 100 amps,
even for short periods. The belt slip was just too much for it.

Ok here we go with the Math...... 120 amps @ 13.6Vdc = 1632 Watts
figure that you alternator is say, oh 75% efficent that equals
2175 watts of input energy, which equals 2.916 Horespower.
Now 3 HP thru one belt? Well, it can be done with a C size belt, but
most engineering folks like to spec max 1.5 HP per belt.

So two belts would be prefferable for 3 HP worth of work.

The above assumes Vbelts, and not gear-belts which can easily
handle up to 6 HP with no problems.

There are belts and there are Belts, so lets get the definitions
set down first......

Bruce in alaska who is running a 6 HP air compressor on a 2.5
inch gearbelt off my 4-108 Perkins 10Kw genset
--
add a 2 before @
Doug Dotson

All I can cite is the fact that I have run a 160 amp alternator
on a single belt for about 4 years. No slip, no squeel, and
full output when needed. No problems with bearings and
still on the original belt, although I have a couple of spare
belts due to the heavier stress expected. Very happy so
far. I would use a dual belt unit if my space would allow it.

Doug
s/v Callista

news
wrote:

You can go up to a 160 amp alternator without having to
resort to a large frame dual belt model.

Doug, can you cite some references on that? I've never heard of
anyone recommending 100+ amps without dual belts. I used to run a 120
amp Balmar on one of my old sailboats with a single belt. Frankly it
left a lot to be desired even at 50 to 60 amps - lots of squealing and
chewed up belts. It would never get even remotely close to 100 amps,
even for short periods. The belt slip was just too much for it.

Jeff Morris

How many amps do you actually get from the alternator, and how big is your
battery bank? I have a 100 Amp alternator, but it hardly ever does more than 84
Amps into a 425 AH bank.

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
All I can cite is the fact that I have run a 160 amp alternator
on a single belt for about 4 years. No slip, no squeel, and
full output when needed. No problems with bearings and
still on the original belt, although I have a couple of spare
belts due to the heavier stress expected. Very happy so
far. I would use a dual belt unit if my space would allow it.

Doug
s/v Callista

news
wrote:

You can go up to a 160 amp alternator without having to
resort to a large frame dual belt model.

Doug, can you cite some references on that? I've never heard of
anyone recommending 100+ amps without dual belts. I used to run a 120
amp Balmar on one of my old sailboats with a single belt. Frankly it
left a lot to be desired even at 50 to 60 amps - lots of squealing and
chewed up belts. It would never get even remotely close to 100 amps,
even for short periods. The belt slip was just too much for it.

Wayne.B

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 23:33:42 -0400, "Doug Dotson"
wrote:

All I can cite is the fact that I have run a 160 amp alternator
on a single belt for about 4 years. No slip, no squeel, and
full output when needed.

===================================

What kind of alternator and what kind of belt?

Doug Dotson

Battery bank is just under 600AH. Alternator is rated 160A cold,
but 147A hot which is the actual useful output. I've seen it put
out as much as 120A, but that was on purpose to test it out. I don't
normally let the batteries get low enough to require such high
currents. Normally charge using the genset to power a 110A
shorepower charger.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
How many amps do you actually get from the alternator, and how big is your
battery bank? I have a 100 Amp alternator, but it hardly ever does more

than 84
Amps into a 425 AH bank.

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
All I can cite is the fact that I have run a 160 amp alternator
on a single belt for about 4 years. No slip, no squeel, and
full output when needed. No problems with bearings and
still on the original belt, although I have a couple of spare
belts due to the heavier stress expected. Very happy so
far. I would use a dual belt unit if my space would allow it.

Doug
s/v Callista

news
wrote:

You can go up to a 160 amp alternator without having to
resort to a large frame dual belt model.

Doug, can you cite some references on that? I've never heard of
anyone recommending 100+ amps without dual belts. I used to run a 120
amp Balmar on one of my old sailboats with a single belt. Frankly it
left a lot to be desired even at 50 to 60 amps - lots of squealing and
chewed up belts. It would never get even remotely close to 100 amps,
even for short periods. The belt slip was just too much for it.

Cold comfort Skip Gundlach Boat Building 13 October 28th 04 04:56 AM
Wind generators Nigel Boat Building 15 May 6th 04 11:02 PM
MASE generators - anyone with experience? Gould 0738 General 3 January 2nd 04 12:54 AM