Jeff Morris

Default Noise and generators

How many amps do you actually get from the alternator, and how big is your
battery bank? I have a 100 Amp alternator, but it hardly ever does more than 84
Amps into a 425 AH bank.

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
All I can cite is the fact that I have run a 160 amp alternator
on a single belt for about 4 years. No slip, no squeel, and
full output when needed. No problems with bearings and
still on the original belt, although I have a couple of spare
belts due to the heavier stress expected. Very happy so
far. I would use a dual belt unit if my space would allow it.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 08:50:10 -0400, "Doug Dotson"
wrote:

You can go up to a 160 amp alternator without having to
resort to a large frame dual belt model.

Doug, can you cite some references on that? I've never heard of
anyone recommending 100+ amps without dual belts. I used to run a 120
amp Balmar on one of my old sailboats with a single belt. Frankly it
left a lot to be desired even at 50 to 60 amps - lots of squealing and
chewed up belts. It would never get even remotely close to 100 amps,
even for short periods. The belt slip was just too much for it.