Doug Dotson

Default Noise and generators

Battery bank is just under 600AH. Alternator is rated 160A cold,
but 147A hot which is the actual useful output. I've seen it put
out as much as 120A, but that was on purpose to test it out. I don't
normally let the batteries get low enough to require such high
currents. Normally charge using the genset to power a 110A
shorepower charger.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
How many amps do you actually get from the alternator, and how big is your
battery bank? I have a 100 Amp alternator, but it hardly ever does more

than 84
Amps into a 425 AH bank.

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
All I can cite is the fact that I have run a 160 amp alternator
on a single belt for about 4 years. No slip, no squeel, and
full output when needed. No problems with bearings and
still on the original belt, although I have a couple of spare
belts due to the heavier stress expected. Very happy so
far. I would use a dual belt unit if my space would allow it.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 08:50:10 -0400, "Doug Dotson"
wrote:

You can go up to a 160 amp alternator without having to
resort to a large frame dual belt model.

Doug, can you cite some references on that? I've never heard of
anyone recommending 100+ amps without dual belts. I used to run a 120
amp Balmar on one of my old sailboats with a single belt. Frankly it
left a lot to be desired even at 50 to 60 amps - lots of squealing and
chewed up belts. It would never get even remotely close to 100 amps,
even for short periods. The belt slip was just too much for it.