posted to rec.boats.building

Default 'Fridge/Icebox Pink or Blue Insulation - WTB?

Seems like extruded polystyrere is the preferred (afordable) insulating
material for marine icebox / 'fridge / freezer applications. [The above
conclusion was heavily influenced by Glacier Bay's insultation test,
viewable here]:

http://www.glacierbay.com/Instresult.asp

Commerically, this means either Dow 'blueboard' Square Edge, or Owens
Corning pink 'Foamular', both of which come in 1" - 3", 4 X 8 foot
sheets. Since I'm begining my 'fridge box construction, I've been
hunting for either of these products - in small quantities (like 4 - 5
sheets) with no luck. There do not appear to be any on-line retailers
of this stuff, and I've had equally poor luck finding a retailer in the
Los Angeles area.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mike Worrall
Los Angeles

posted to rec.boats.building
Drew Dalgleish

do they have home depot stores down there? It's sold for house
sheathing in cold places also available in 2'x8' shiplap size

[...]

Plenty of Home Depots in So Cal, and in fact the Ownes Corning web site
has a "find a location to purchase" tab at which one inputs one's zip
code, and it replies with locations within 'X' number of miles that
alegedly carry the 'Foamular' product.

Turns out that O.C. thinks the H.D. on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood carries
Foamular.
I took the bait.

Now, visiting the H.D. in Hollywod is, in every sense a world-class
experience. If you're not familiar with Hollywood, put every thought
of glitz and glamor, movie stars and refined elegance out of your mind.
H'wood in the 21st Century is alternately funky, seedy, worn out, worn
down and 'alternative' (as in "lifestyle"). English is definately not
the first language, and likely barely makes the top 5. Purple is a
standard hair color.
Tatoos and multiple body piercings are de reguier. And yet - for some
reason - this H.D. (out of perhaps 1500 in So Cal) was purportedly
gifted with stocking Foamular... [maybe its pink color had something to
do with it...?]

So, I went. Lots of insulation, no Foamular. I asked a 'you can do
it, we can help' clerk "Do you stock the Pink Stuff?" while pointing to
the white styrofoam. "Yes" was his (?) reply "Where do you keep it?"
"Yes" . "Is there anyone else who can help me find it?" "Yes."

I gave up, and though I'd impose on you'all for help...

MW

+++
Drew Dalgleish wrote:
do they have home depot stores down there? It's sold for house
sheathing in cold places also available in 2'x8' shiplap size

posted to rec.boats.building
Glenn Ashmore

Best way to tell is to break off a small piece. The one you want will have
individual little beads pressed together.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

MMC

Good story Mike. It's always nice to sample other clutures. Isn't it nice
not to have to travel to do so?
I'm kidding of course, ****es me off that English is becoming a second
language in this country.
I used 2" 2 lb urethane foam when i built the box on my Rhodes Traveller. I
followed Dan Spurrs "Upgrading the Cruising Sailboat" and "This Old Boat"
(great books BTW) while building the boat and the icebox info was in one of
them. I was happy with the results. Don't remember the "R" value, but it was
A LOT better than any of the house insulation available.
MMC
oups.com...

Drew Dalgleish wrote:
do they have home depot stores down there? It's sold for house
sheathing in cold places also available in 2'x8' shiplap size

posted to rec.boats.building
MMC

I thought I might add the foam I used came in a 4x8 sheet with foil on one
side and was 4 lb, not 2. Cuts easily with hand and power tools.
MMC
oups.com...

Drew Dalgleish wrote:
do they have home depot stores down there? It's sold for house
sheathing in cold places also available in 2'x8' shiplap size

posted to rec.boats.building
Ron Magen

Mike,
FWIW . . . the 'deer in the headlights' look that probably accompanied the
'non-answer' from the HD minion, is almost 'standard issue' in ANY HD . . .
no matter the language. However, it is still a step above, ' . . . Sure,
that'll work . . .' that you find out WON'T after it's built INTO the
project !!

On the POSITIVE side, many HD establishments DON'T stock the same thing . .
.. no matter what a distributor {who deals with Corporate} says. It's
sensible in a way . . . different areas & communities have different
requirements for materials. I've noticed it here in the Philly suburbs. My
suggestion would be two-fold - a} CALL various local HD establishments - ask
for the COMMERCIAL desk. Don't say 'Foamular', but ask for the Corning
'pink' or Dow 'blue' insulation . . . at the size & thickness you need.
'Hint' that you are looking for maybe a half-pallet quantity, and NO you
DON'T want to order it - and need to make sure it's the 'right stuff'. b}
LOOK / CALL any Lowe's operations in the local area . . . they are a direct
competitor of HD.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop