Default Brazilian Teak

Is Brazilian teak as good as the stuff from S.E Asia?

Glenn Ashmore

Brazilian and Central American teak is plantation grown using a lot of
agricultural technology. It grows faster so the rings are thicker and
the grain is a little more coarse. It is still resistant to rot and
actually has a little better non-skid properties but it somewhat softer
so it does not weather as well and has to be maintained more carefully.

South East Aisian teak is almost impossible to get these days because of
some world wide bans. What is available is usually smuggled out of Burma.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

danny

You should be ashamed of yourself for even considering using this timber, it
is theft, and destruction of the rain forest, there is no legally guaranteed
wood coming out of Brazil, Loggers are destroying communities, murdering in
order to supply this timber.
Please think again.
/////////////////////////////
x wrote in message ...
Is Brazilian teak as good as the stuff from S.E Asia?

Glenn Ashmore

I must correct myself. Did some checking and the trade name "Brazilian
teak" is actually Cumaru aka Ebo. Dipteryx, odorata, not teak at all.
Similar in density, strength and durability to teak but less
dimensionally stable.

That is going to lead to no end of confusion because there are several
large real teak plantations starting to harvest in Brazil.

x wrote:
Is Brazilian teak as good as the stuff from S.E Asia?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Glenn Ashmore

Centeral American and Brazilian plantations are growing real teak
started from Burmese seed selected for quality and growth rate. The
primary difference is in the way it is grown. Plantation grown trees
are spaced and cultivated to produce the highest stumpage yield in the
shortest amount of time. That results in a somewhat coarser grain
structure. You could compare it to old growth yellow pine that had to
struggle for 50 years in the wild to grow to prime lumber vs modern tree
farm yellow pine that is ready to harvest in 20 years. Same tree.
Different growing methods.

What had me confused was the term "Brazilian teak" which has nothing to
do with teak at all.

Bill wrote:
There are also multiple "Teak "plantations in Central America. They are
quoting something like 15 years to harvest, . I don't know the specie

Bill

x wrote:

Is Brazilian teak as good as the stuff from S.E Asia?

--
Glenn Ashmore

I'm building a 45' cutter in strip/composite. Watch my progress (or

lack

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Jim Conlin

Brazilian Teak and other illusions

There's coming to be a lot of South American hardwood sold with misleading
names and uncertain species or origin.

Also of interest is Brad Ives' company Deepwater Ventures which imports
boatbuilding woods. They are well respected.

x wrote:

Is Brazilian teak as good as the stuff from S.E Asia?

--
Glenn Ashmore

I'm building a 45' cutter in strip/composite. Watch my progress (or

lack

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Derek

I have heard this specie of wood is also great for decks. Does anyone know who may supply this wood
in Canada? I would imagine that it may be available at the local Home Depot (but likely through
special order). I watched a program of "This Old House" and they were using some sort of Brazilian
hardwood to manufacture a patio deck. It had a beautiful dark colour and apparently did not require
much in the way of preservatives. I have thought about this ever since seeing that program. I
don't mind spending the extra if I do not have to use that ugly green pressure treated lumber (which
by the way is highly toxic) for a deck. I could use whatever excess wood extras to create a decent
wooden ceiling header and other nice accent wood pieces in my boat.

Oh yeah, thinking hard about that one....

Teak Finish Frank Gerry Boat Building 1 February 5th 04 03:23 AM
Ipe vs. Teak gordon Boat Building 7 January 31st 04 10:14 PM
Which teak seam calk? Glenn Ashmore Boat Building 17 December 19th 03 04:25 AM
FS: Teak Deck Planks A. Hardy Boat Building 0 August 24th 03 12:23 AM
Teak Surfing... doesn't anyone read the papers anymore??? Calif Bill General 0 July 22nd 03 06:53 AM