gordon

Default Ipe vs. Teak

I'm thinking of using Ipe in place of teak to rebuild the bow sprit on a
Pearson 365. Anyone know if the Ipe is as rot resistant to decay as teak
is????

Jim Conlin

It's reported to be decay resistant.
It's MISERABLE stuff to work. I've not heard that it glues well.
It's quite heavy. The bow is the second-worst place on the boat to add
weight.

gordon wrote:

I'm thinking of using Ipe in place of teak to rebuild the bow sprit on a
Pearson 365. Anyone know if the Ipe is as rot resistant to decay as teak
is????

gordo

Thanks for the info. Where is the worst place to add weight to?????

Larry

Where is the worst place to add weight to?????
The mast?

(¯`·._.· £ãrrÿ ·._.·´¯)

"gordo" wrote in message
Thanks for the info. Where is the worst place to add weight to?????

Jim Conlin

The masthead.

gordo wrote:

Thanks for the info. Where is the worst place to add weight to?????

Backyard Renegade

Jim Conlin wrote in message ...
The masthead.

gordo wrote:

Thanks for the info. Where is the worst place to add weight to?????

Oh, I was going to say, "driver"!
James

"Backyard Renegade" wrote in message
om...
Jim Conlin wrote in message

The masthead.

gordo wrote:

Thanks for the info. Where is the worst place to add weight to?????

Oh, I was going to say, "driver"!

I remember a couple in the sailing club bar who were discussing at some
length how they had saved 2lbs here and 3lbs there etc,etc,etc on thier new
home built multihull.
Both of them were well over 15 stone and never a thought to saving wieght
there.............

Scott Downey

Very heavy wont float in water, very rot resistant and relatively cheap.
Yukon Lumber in Norfolk VA sells it. I am very interested in it personally
more for trim and toe rails. You can get long clear straight pieces with
attractive straight grain and color. Supposedly one if the strongest woods
with tremendous crush resistance. Used outdoors on many walkways and decks.
Does not bend, very stiff. In a way a decent choice for a durable cheap
heavy boat. If you planked the bottom the extra weight down below would be
good for displacement style boats. It also is dimensionally stable with
almost no movement.

gordon wrote:

I'm thinking of using Ipe in place of teak to rebuild the bow sprit on a
Pearson 365. Anyone know if the Ipe is as rot resistant to decay as teak
is????

Which teak seam calk? Glenn Ashmore Boat Building 17 December 19th 03 04:25 AM
Alternative to teak for cockpit coaming Ron Magen Boat Building 5 August 25th 03 10:53 PM
FS: Teak Deck Planks AH Boat Building 0 August 24th 03 12:34 AM
FS: Teak Deck Planks A. Hardy Boat Building 0 August 24th 03 12:23 AM
Teak Surfing... doesn't anyone read the papers anymore??? Calif Bill General 0 July 22nd 03 06:53 AM