Scott Downey

Default Ipe vs. Teak

Very heavy wont float in water, very rot resistant and relatively cheap.
Yukon Lumber in Norfolk VA sells it. I am very interested in it personally
more for trim and toe rails. You can get long clear straight pieces with
attractive straight grain and color. Supposedly one if the strongest woods
with tremendous crush resistance. Used outdoors on many walkways and decks.
Does not bend, very stiff. In a way a decent choice for a durable cheap
heavy boat. If you planked the bottom the extra weight down below would be
good for displacement style boats. It also is dimensionally stable with
almost no movement.

"Jim Conlin" wrote in message
It's reported to be decay resistant.
It's MISERABLE stuff to work. I've not heard that it glues well.
It's quite heavy. The bow is the second-worst place on the boat to add
weight.

gordon wrote:

I'm thinking of using Ipe in place of teak to rebuild the bow sprit on a
Pearson 365. Anyone know if the Ipe is as rot resistant to decay as teak
is????