BoatBanter.com

-   -   Ipe vs. Teak (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/6438-ipe-vs-teak.html)

gordon December 24th 03 12:24 PM

Ipe vs. Teak

I'm thinking of using Ipe in place of teak to rebuild the bow sprit on a
Pearson 365. Anyone know if the Ipe is as rot resistant to decay as teak
is????

Jim Conlin December 24th 03 02:51 PM

Ipe vs. Teak

It's reported to be decay resistant.
It's MISERABLE stuff to work. I've not heard that it glues well.
It's quite heavy. The bow is the second-worst place on the boat to add
weight.

gordo December 24th 03 04:17 PM

Ipe vs. Teak

Thanks for the info. Where is the worst place to add weight to?????

Larry December 24th 03 07:22 PM

Ipe vs. Teak

Where is the worst place to add weight to?????
The mast?

(¯`·._.· £ãrrÿ ·._.·´¯)

Jim Conlin December 24th 03 07:49 PM

Ipe vs. Teak

The masthead.

Backyard Renegade December 26th 03 02:18 PM

Ipe vs. Teak

Jim Conlin wrote in message ...
The masthead.

gordo wrote:

Thanks for the info. Where is the worst place to add weight to?????

Oh, I was going to say, "driver"!

James December 27th 03 09:42 AM

Ipe vs. Teak

"Backyard Renegade" wrote in message
om...
Jim Conlin wrote in message

The masthead.

gordo wrote:

Thanks for the info. Where is the worst place to add weight to?????

Oh, I was going to say, "driver"!

I remember a couple in the sailing club bar who were discussing at some
length how they had saved 2lbs here and 3lbs there etc,etc,etc on thier new
home built multihull.
Both of them were well over 15 stone and never a thought to saving wieght
there.............

Scott Downey January 31st 04 10:14 PM

Ipe vs. Teak

Very heavy wont float in water, very rot resistant and relatively cheap.
Yukon Lumber in Norfolk VA sells it. I am very interested in it personally
more for trim and toe rails. You can get long clear straight pieces with
attractive straight grain and color. Supposedly one if the strongest woods
with tremendous crush resistance. Used outdoors on many walkways and decks.
Does not bend, very stiff. In a way a decent choice for a durable cheap
heavy boat. If you planked the bottom the extra weight down below would be
good for displacement style boats. It also is dimensionally stable with
almost no movement.