Glenn Ashmore

Default Brazilian Teak

danny wrote:
Teak takes hundreds of years to mature and ready for harvesting, I certainly
know of any pep pills that would force grow Teak.

Actually for being such a dense and hard wood teak grows incredibly
fast. About the same as Southern Yellow Pine. At 15 years a plantation
grown teak tree will have a clear bole 10-12" in diameter and 30' long.
At that age they contain about 40% heartwood. However, trees in the
range of 50 years old give the best yield of heart wood (in the
neighborhood of 75%) Over 50 years the annual heartwood yield increase
is not cost effective.

Because of the cost of cultivation Central American trees are harvested
betwen 15 and 25 years while SE Aisian trees grow for 35-40 years.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Chris Crandall

Derek ) wrote:

: I watched a program of "This Old House" and they were using some sort of
: Brazilian hardwood to manufacture a patio deck. It had a beautiful dark
: colour and apparently did not require much in the way of preservatives.

Perhaps this was "Ipe".

Derek

"Chris Crandall" wrote in message ...
| Derek ) wrote:
|
| : I watched a program of "This Old House" and they were using some sort of
| : Brazilian hardwood to manufacture a patio deck. It had a beautiful dark
| : colour and apparently did not require much in the way of preservatives.
|
| Perhaps this was "Ipe".

Yup, you are correct.

I did a search and found the exact info I was referring to.

The show was "This Old House" with Norm Abram and the episode was "The Nantucket House" in which
they installed an 'Ipe' deck ( amongst other things).

LINKS

This Old House "The Nantucket House"
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tvpr...198625,00.html

Information on Ipe wood
http://www.edeck.com/IPE_HOME.HTM

Cheers
Derek

Teak Finish Frank Gerry Boat Building 1 February 5th 04 04:23 AM
Ipe vs. Teak gordon Boat Building 7 January 31st 04 11:14 PM
Which teak seam calk? Glenn Ashmore Boat Building 17 December 19th 03 05:25 AM
FS: Teak Deck Planks A. Hardy Boat Building 0 August 24th 03 12:23 AM
Teak Surfing... doesn't anyone read the papers anymore??? Calif Bill General 0 July 22nd 03 06:53 AM