none

Default Can I use Solid wire for rewiring sailboat if not WHY?

what an absurd response!
For the willing: solid wire is intended for Ac because the current travels
thru the average of the thicknessas it alternates polarity. Dc travels on
the outside (skin effect) due to mutual repulsion of the electrons;
therefore stranded wire is best for high current loads of Dc. If the wire
is well supported and larger than necessary for the rated current AND
cheap enough vs stranded, then go with it. Otherwise, stranded.
rick

On Thu, 27 May 2004 03:05:29 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

Subject

If you have to ask that question, don't even consider the job.

Boats are wired with tinned stranded wire based on some solid
engineering.

Jim Conlin

One argument against soldered connections is that the molten solder can wick
up into the stranded wire and stiffen the wire back to a hard spot which, being
concealed by the insulation, can fatigue without being seen.

QLW wrote:

I usually solder connector on my boat and have never found this to fail.
I've never see this done but the manufacturers so there must be some
negative reason but I've not found it.

JAXAshby

I usually solder connector on my boat and have never found this to fail.
I've never see this done but the manufacturers so there must be some
negative reason but I've not found it.

solder connections fail under high load conditions
JAXAshby

I agree. The crimp is for a solid mechanical connection. The solder
gives a good electrical connection and resists corrosion.

wrong. solder connections fail under high load conditions.

CRIMP for current, solder for corrosion resistence. In that order.

QLW

Would you mind explaining exactly how a solder connection fails "under high
load conditions" If a wire gets hot enough to melt solder then that circuit
is greatly overloaded and the fuse should have failed long before reaching
that point.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
I agree. The crimp is for a solid mechanical connection. The solder
gives a good electrical connection and resists corrosion.

wrong. solder connections fail under high load conditions.

CRIMP for current, solder for corrosion resistence. In that order.

JAXAshby

Would you mind explaining exactly how a solder connection fails "under high
load conditions"

when the connection is soldered it lacks mechanical integrity. solder is soft
and any chance of movement -- any, even walking on a floor near the equipment
in a building -- loosens the connection until it eventualy fails. Even if
after soldering the connection is clamped TIGHTLY with a mechanical clamp it
eventually fails.

If the connection is FIRST clamped TIGHTLY mechanically and _then_ soldered for
corrosion protection all if right and holy.
Brian Whatcott

1) Skin effect is of concern - but only at frequencies well above
those used for power transmission. Start thinking about it at perhaps
5 MHz up. Skin effect is actually absent at DC

2) an equal diameter of stranded and solid power line passing equal
currents, shows the stranded line getting hotter, with more volt drop,
because the resistance per unit length is higher for stranded.

Please don't share knowledge with us, willing or not, unless you're
sure. There's always someone to spot a misconception.

Brian W

wrote:

Subject

If you have to ask that question, don't even consider the job.

Boats are wired with tinned stranded wire based on some solid
engineering.

Keith

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com has pretty good prices on tinned marine
wire. It's not Ancor brand, but the same spec. Also, our local Home Depot
acutally carries a decent selection of marine stuff, including wire, nylon
terminals, etc.

Oh yea, while on the subject of terminals, be sure to use a good double
crimp ratcheting crimper and good terminals. You can find both at
http://www.terminaltown.com. They have all kinds of wiring stuff, including
mil spec connectors if you're really picky!

--

Keith
__
"dbraun" wrote in message
lkaboutboats.com...
All the reasons given here for the use of stranded wire are for the most
part correct and reason enough to use tinned stranded wire. I am sure
that
the only reason you are disuaded from using real marine wire is cost, but
I just bought 1000' of 14/2 for 24 cents a foot he

http://www.blackav.com/bai.php?page=11

their website was out of commission last I checked, but their phone
number
is 724-379-8628

To answer all the sceptics, YES, this is tinned, stranded, duplex UL1426
CG approved marine wire.

David
S/V Nausicaa