keith

Default D4 dinghy epoxy quantity

Hi,

I have the free plans to build a D4 dinghy, but roughly how much epoxy
do I need for the project? Thanks in advance.

Keith
Matt Langenfeld

1.5 gallons should be plenty

--
Matt Langenfeld
JEM Watercraft

keith wrote:
Hi,

I have the free plans to build a D4 dinghy, but roughly how much epoxy
do I need for the project? Thanks in advance.

Keith

Backyard Renegade

keith wrote in message . ..
Hi,

I have the free plans to build a D4 dinghy, but roughly how much epoxy
do I need for the project? Thanks in advance.

Keith

It really depends on how careful you are with it. The D4 could
probably be built with about 3/4 to one gallon of goo. If you take a
gallon and a half you are building way too heavy, I have built several
of these, am building one right now, I rarely answer questions if I
don't really know the answer
Scotty
Backyard Renegade

Rick Tyler wrote in message . ..
On 7 May 2004 06:37:48 -0700, (Backyard
Renegade) wrote:

keith wrote in message . ..
I have the free plans to build a D4 dinghy, but roughly how much epoxy
do I need for the project? Thanks in advance.

It really depends on how careful you are with it. The D4 could
probably be built with about 3/4 to one gallon of goo. If you take a
gallon and a half you are building way too heavy, I have built several
of these, am building one right now, I rarely answer questions if I
don't really know the answer

Remember that Scotty is a very experienced builder. I used more than
a gallon on my 8-foot dinghy. The designer of that boat recommends
1.5 gallons for a first-time builder.

Have fun!

- Rick Tyler

My dad always says I only open my mouth to change feet! Anyway, since
I opened my mouth I should add this.
One of the biggest problems a newbie has is trusting this flimsy 6mm
and thin battens, especially during the initial building process
before the project takes it's structure. This usually results in the
builder putting in larger/heavier fillets and using more glue than the
origional plan calls for. Remember, the designer has designed a vessel
that will suit the need when completed, many of these smaller boats,
especially s+t boats do not get structure until very late in the build
when the gunnels, quarterknees, keel, seats and such get finalized.
Before that, these boats are just scarey, like working with a big
piece of newspaper, often I joke with customers, "you don't want to
see your boat until it's done". I have also seen many think, 6mm may
be good, but I will use 9mm... Hummmmm? If you don't trust the
designer or the plan, you are building the wrong boat, Anyway, my
point is, trust the designer if he says 3/8" filletts, don't make em'
heavy.
Another mistake newbies make while we are at it is trying to make a
boat look and act like a boat, before it is a boat. What I mean here
is getting ahead of yourself can cost you time and material. To be
more to the point what I am talking about here is sanding and
finishing parts before their time. Any part that will be difficult to
reach after construction can be sanded ahead of time, but I never sand
anything until I am ready to finish it. Why? Easy. I don't want to
sand twice, or sand through the laminates if using plywood cause you
will nick it again before the end of the build and have to sand it
again. This can result in extra work, and of course if you nick
something that is already sanded to shape, you will have to take it
down further to get the nick out you just made turning the hull or
dropping a tool or paint! Leave a little extra on pieces when possible
until it it time to make it look like a boat.
Anyway, I hope I have redeemed myself for the assumption that a newbie
will be as kind to a pot of goo as I.
Later, Scotty from............ Ahhhh, still can't do it... Working on
three beautiful boats now, hoping to have a nice summer. Been catching
some good fish so far too. Later.
keith

Thanks,

Sme valuable advice from all of you. I can't wait to get started.

Keith

On 10 May 2004 07:36:40 -0700, (Backyard
Renegade) wrote:

Rick Tyler wrote in message . ..
On 7 May 2004 06:37:48 -0700,
(Backyard
Renegade) wrote:

keith wrote in message . ..
[...]

Epoxy under Varnish on deck? Ervin Charles Boat Building 5 March 7th 04 04:04 AM
Epoxy v. Poly rude Boat Building 5 February 12th 04 02:05 PM
Polyester or Epoxy? Allan Boat Building 76 January 28th 04 02:51 AM
How thick to make the fairing? & vaccum bagging a hull Pete Boat Building 12 January 19th 04 10:12 PM
epoxy does so pass water William R. Watt Boat Building 14 November 11th 03 12:52 PM